CVA MUZZEL LOADER SAFE?

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a CVA Optima safe queen. Thought i would break it out and shoot/hunt with it some. I would like to shoot BH 209 as it is a closed system. I last used pyrodex in it.

However I have recently read that this type rifle has had some issues handling pressure and blowing up. Does anyone have information on this and any data on safe loads. Thanks!

No issues with Bh209. There are thousands of guys shooting Bh209 in Optimas. But, you will need a Blackhorn specific breech plug.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
You read a bunch of BS by a person that hasn't been anything for the past 10 years.

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I figured the optima was good. But just wanted to run it through the forum incase I was missing something. Could not find any recalls. Appreaciate the feedback.

I have a CVA Optima safe queen. Thought i would break it out and shoot/hunt with it some. I would like to shoot BH 209 as it is a closed system. I last used pyrodex in it.

However I have recently read that this type rifle has had some issues handling pressure and blowing up. Does anyone have information on this and any data on safe loads. Thanks!
I've killed many deer with the Optima V2. Used T7 and BH209 powders not to exceed recommended loading specs. BH209 is a "hotter" powder than T7 (and similar substitutes) so do your homework and adjust your powder charge accordingly. Guys at Muzzleloader.com are a wealth of knowledge. As others have said, if you plan to use BH209 powder pick up a BH breech plug. Hunt with confidence.

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I will certainly hunt with confidence. I am very familiar with Buckhorn 209 having used it in my TC Encore. You just read some of the strangest things online and if there had been issues with the CVA optima I wanted to know what they were. My optima is not the V2 just the straight Optima. I originally used pyrodex and had good results. As Buckhorn is hotter than pyrodex I just wanted to cover all bases. I do still use pyrodex but in a MK 85. Love shooting muzzeloaders.