CVA ACURRA shooting low at max adjustmen

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Need ideas or suggestions on a cva accura 50cal shooting about 5" low at 100 with the rear sight already about 1/8" past the last dashmark going up.

I'm at 80grns and 120grns 777powder shooting both powerbelts and hornady ftx bullets.

Any suggestions? The rounds were literally stacking at 100, they just low

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Did you stay with the stock Williams sites? It may be an issue with the front site height. I'm about halfway up with the replacement Williams sights and am shooting 2 inches high at 50 with the same loads and triple 7. Haven't shot it at 100 but have plenty of room to move it. May be worth a call to Williams.

OP
S

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
Did you stay with the stock Williams sites? It may be an issue with the front site height. I'm about halfway up with the replacement Williams sights and am shooting 2 inches high at 50 with the same loads and triple 7. Haven't shot it at 100 but have plenty of room to move it. May be worth a call to Williams.
So quick phone call with williams he said cva changed barrel profiles and didnt change front sight to accommodate. Lots of people run out of room for elevation. He sending me a replacement set

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I had this same problem with my CVA and it cost me a really nice bull a at 135 yds. Shot right below em.

Glad you figured it out.

elkivory

FNG
With all the different options CVA offers in the X models, why don't they get with Williams and put the western precision sight on the X as an option? Seems like so many people buy them and then change to this. They are out of 50 cal now , so it would be a good time to consider doing this. I called CVA and asked about availability of LR-X in 50 and they said maybe this summer. Waiting to get barrels from Spain.

How did you not figure out where you were shooting before hunting?
I put a target up and was shooting 6 inches low at 100 yds… and I ran out of adjustment on my Williams sight so I left it and figured I’d just aim for the elks back if I had the opportunity.

Well that opportunity came as a waited for the thermals to change. I found a small bachelor group of elk with 3 really nice bulls over 300.

In idaho you could only use round balls, loose powder and percussion caps for this hunt throw in a really steep shot angle and a bunch of open country I crawled into 135 yds.

I was set up on a very stable bi pod and when I pulled the trigger and the smoke cleared I was dumb founded to see them all running off only to have them stop at 200 yds and bed back down!

In hindsight I should have got the muzzleloader sighted in right. It was a hard lesson to learn.

DanimalW

WKR
I put a target up and was shooting 6 inches low at 100 yds… and I ran out of adjustment on my Williams sight so I left it and figured I’d just aim for the elks back if I had the opportunity.

Well that opportunity came as a waited for the thermals to change. I found a small bachelor group of elk with 3 really nice bulls over 300.

In idaho you could only use round balls, loose powder and percussion caps for this hunt throw in a really steep shot angle and a bunch of open country I crawled into 135 yds.

I was set up on a very stable bi pod and when I pulled the trigger and the smoke cleared I was dumb founded to see them all running off only to have them stop at 200 yds and bed back down!

In hindsight I should have got the muzzleloader sighted in right. It was a hard lesson to learn.
Legit explanation I could see myself doing. Even modern muzzleloaders can be a funny animal. I had a clean miss on a nice whitetail a couple years back. Think I had a Thor bullet that was maybe too loosely fit that it maybe came a little loose off the charge. Only thing I can think as it was only 40 yards and I saw where it hit in the snow. Frustrating when you know you could have smoked it with an arrow…