Cut barrel or Leave well-enough alone?

You only live once,do what you really want,you have to be leaning one way.
I just sent two off.I got tired of debating myself when I knew what I wanted.

sndmn11

WKR
I'd buy one of the many take off barrels that can be found, throw it on to see how it shoots, cut it, and see if it shoot better/worse/same. Then you don't have the angst of if your good barrel gets bothered.

Cut it and reload to make up lost velocity & improve accuracy. You already know it's too long to want to carry so makes it there rifle you want.

An 18" 6.5 PRC with a can is still going to be deadly out past 700 yds...

WKR
I would cut it. It sounds like the only way you'd regret cutting it is if it lost accuracy, and most people say that's not the most likely outcome.

You say you havent done a full 10 or 20 shot group yet, I'd say go shoot a 20 round group. I think 1- that group size is going to be bigger than you think, and it will make you less scared to cut it, and, 2- you can shoot a 20 round group post-cut for a true comparison.

It’s a tikka not a Nula,I do understand it’s a shooter but cut it,if it didn’t turn out than just rebarrel or sale it and get another.

TaperPin

WKR
I vote to cut it - maybe it shoots a little worse and maybe it shoots a little better. I just got a little knot in my stomach imagining a good shooting gun going to crap. Maybe keep it like it is. Definitely keep it like it is. . . . or cut it.

TreeDog

Lil-Rokslider
Cut it. I just had my Tikka Superlite 6.5CM cut down to 18" and threaded. It actually shoots better now than it did before. And with the suppressor it's the same overall length as the factory 24" barrel.

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Late to the party. What did you decide? I just got this rifle through a little horse trading. It’s long. I’m considering chopping it but am researching on whether you can do that into the flutes.

If I wasn’t going to be able to get the idea of chopping that barrel out of my head I would go ahead and do it. Its just a rifle not your arm. But that is me. I cant stand the mental torture of a plan not executed.
I just never been a leave well enough alone guy when Valhalla is only one step away. Risk be danged.