Custom Rifle Journey/Review *Pic Heavy*

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Its easy to get caught in the extremes. A 9lb 7mm is hard to beat for an everything gun. I like a 10lb 30 cal mag for out of state and 8lb 6.5prc for CA lead free stuff. Steel everything as well.
I agree 100%. Perfect rifle weights for managing recoil with a decent sized cartridge for each caliber.

Thanks for bringing us along...and yes you have a problem...
You're welcome! And yes, yes I do lol.

180ls1

WKR
I agree 100%. Perfect rifle weights for managing recoil with a decent sized cartridge for each caliber.

You're welcome! And yes, yes I do lol.

I will say WAY too many people overlook longer and more forgiving bows though. Adding a few inches in ATA hardly adds weight but really helps stability and adding usable range in real world hunting conditions.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
Love the detailed write-up with photos to show your journey as both a rifleman and a hunter. Sometimes the best lessons are to live and learn, which you have done. Appreciate the time you took to put this together.

Sevens

WKR
RECOMMENDATIONS

1. Get a steel action. WITH an integrated rail. Meaning the rail is machined in. Bat Vesper & Defiance Anti X will be your lightest options I believe. Impact & Lone peak are also good. Do not fuss with an aftermarket rail attached with four screws. They can and do come loose. If you must use an aftermarket rail, epoxy that bitch to the action never to be removed again.
Curious which rifles/rails you had issues with coming loose? How do you feel about pinned rails?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Love the detailed write-up with photos to show your journey as both a rifleman and a hunter. Sometimes the best lessons are to live and learn, which you have done. Appreciate the time you took to put this together.
Thank you very much. That’s greatly appreciated!

And isn’t that the truth! That’s the whole approach I take. I like to just get to work figuring out what works and what doesn’t. Instead on theorizing. Yes it takes time and money. But I don’t have to wonder about it anymore.

Curious which rifles/rails you had issues with coming loose? How do you feel about pinned rails?
Any rail/action combo can eventually rattle loose. A pinned rail is certainly better. But I would still bond it to the action. There’s no reason not to IMO.

My question.

How did you get so many tags the second year you started hunting? Or better yet, how did you get the time off? Lol
With a lot of research and effort, there are lots of tags to be had out there. I didnt even share the archery kills lol. I have a good deal at work with taking lots of time off in the winter. They don’t need me, and I don’t need them hahaha. It works out 🙌🏼

axeforce6

WKR
With a lot of research and effort, there are lots of tags to be had out there. I didnt even share the archery kills lol. I have a good deal at work with taking lots of time off in the winter. They don’t need me, and I don’t need them hahaha. It works out 🙌🏼
Are they hiring? I have lots of custom rifles and love to shoot far. We’d be big buddies.

Congrats on your hard work!

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
RECOMMENDATIONS

1. Get a steel action. WITH an integrated rail. Meaning the rail is machined in. Bat Vesper & Defiance Anti X will be your lightest options I believe. Impact & Lone peak are also good. Do not fuss with an aftermarket rail attached with four screws. They can and do come loose. If you must use an aftermarket rail, epoxy that bitch to the action never to be removed again.

2. Get a steel barrel. Benchmark, Bartlein, Brux, Ace ect... I think any higher end steel barrel, will be more forgiving for load dev and outshoot, or at least shoot the same as the best carbons. And you can run a decent shot string through them without groups opening up. For a 1.200 shank, a bartlein 3B is a great option. And for a 1.250 shank, the #5 contour.

3. Adjustable stocks really aren't necessary and can add a good bit of weight. Getting a non adjustable stock with a higher check weld is probably best for most people. I do not like sporter stocks or chassis. I think that's more of a preference thing though, so don't hold much weight to it.

Here's a few photos of groups you can expect from well built custom rifles and GOOD reloading practices. I guarantee I could triple these group sizes by carelessly loading inconsistent ammo. Sometimes they shoot larger groups absolutely. But generally you can achieve lots of .2" 3 shot groups, .4" 5 shots groups fairly often and .7" 10 shots groups. Sometimes they're smaller, sometimes they're bigger.

View attachment 663393
View attachment 663395
View attachment 663397
View attachment 663399

I am currently waiting for components for my ideal 6 PRC build, which will be:

Bat Vesper Short Action
Rokstok or Peak 44 Bastion. Whichever arrives first.
26" Benchmark #6 contour 1-8 twist
Hawkins M5 DBM
Bix N Andy TacSport Trigger
Topped with a 3-18X44 Tenmile.
thanks for all the info, with your 6.5 build what’s the benefits of going with a 26 inch barrel over a 24? Is that 26 counting the brake or just 26 inch just on the barrel?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Well written! A journey worth sharing, and getting down to the principles. Keep it up 👊🏽
Thank you!

thanks for all the info, with your 6.5 build what’s the benefits of going with a 26 inch barrel over a 24? Is that 26 counting the brake or just 26 inch just on the barrel?
Honestly, I'm just so used to carrying a 26" rifle, that there's no need for me to give up any velocity to go shorter. It's also nice to have the muzzle brake a little further away for the percussion. But that isn't a deciding factor. 20", 22", 24" or 26" would really all kill the same at 99% of the yardages most animals are killed at. I just shoot 26" because I'm used to it. And that's a finished length for the barrel, and then a 4 port brake screwed onto the end.

Steve has cost me a lot of money over the years but it’s been well worth it. 👊 Currently own his Christensen 6.5 creed and his Tikka 6.5 prc which is a freaking tac driver. A few months ago I asked Steve to sell one of his .30 cals and he talked me into building my own. I’m beyond happy with it. Thanks for helping me out all of these years buddy 👊

300 prc
Bartlein 1-9 twist Rem Varmint 27 in
SRS break
AG Alpine Hunter Stock
BAT Vesper
Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpeg
    IMG_0982.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0982.jpeg
    IMG_0982.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 104
OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Steve has cost me a lot of money over the years but it’s been well worth it. 👊 Currently own his Christensen 6.5 creed and his Tikka 6.5 prc which is a freaking tac driver. A few months ago I asked Steve to sell one of his .30 cals and he talked me into building my own. I’m beyond happy with it. Thanks for helping me out all of these years buddy 👊

300 prc
Bartlein 1-9 twist Rem Varmint 27 in
SRS break
AG Alpine Hunter Stock
BAT Vesper
Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP
Hahaha oh I love spending my friend's money too!! That's a badass build though man!

Maybe instead of a bad optics list, which I think we all know, maybe list the optics you do use and would again?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Maybe instead of a bad optics list, which I think we all know, maybe list the optics you do use and would again?
Nightforce ATACR, any of them.
Nightforce NX8. Either of them
March F 3-24X52
March FX 4.5-28X52
Trijicon Tenmile 3-18X44
Trijicon Tenmile 4.5-30X56

I'd happily use any of those. Currently have 2 trijicon tenmile 3-18X44's for both of customs.

Nightforce ATACR, any of them.
Nightforce NX8. Either of them
March F 3-24X52
March FX 4.5-28X52
Trijicon Tenmile 3-18X44
Trijicon Tenmile 4.5-30X56

I'd happily use any of those. Currently have 2 trijicon tenmile 3-18X44's for both of customs.
Have you noticed any differences between Tenmile models? The 3-18 seems to mimic the credo more but the 4.5-30 seems to be more of a different league.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Have you noticed any differences between Tenmile models? The 3-18 seems to mimic the credo more but the 4.5-30 seems to be more of a different league.
4.5-30 is a different league. Better turrets, better image, and a thinner reticle. But the 3-18 is still PLENTY good.