Custom bushings?

WKR

WKR
Does anyone know of a shop or smith that can make some custom neck/shoulder bushings to be made to fit into a short action custom modular sizing die?

BBob

WKR
Your local machine shop? I make my own when needed. What’s your specific use? What are you trying to do? Are you going need repetitive use or are you one shot forming brass? One shot I have no issues with unhardened. If repetitive use you might want a hardened bushing.

There’s a toolmaker on Accurate Shooter that does that kind of thing. Contact @Uthink Uknow over there and he can tell you if it’s possible and or get you in touch with the guy.

Reactions: WKR

E.Shell

FNG
Are you sure you need custom bushings? My gunsmith made a die for my BR rifle using the same reamer as the chamber and he set it up for standard Redding bushings. I can't imagine a reason to not do it this way.

If not, can the die be modified to take a standard bushing?
Sleeve standard bushings?
Can standard bushings be modified to fit your die?

BBob

WKR
If not, can the die be modified to take a standard bushing?
Sleeve standard bushings?
Can standard bushings be modified to fit your die?
No, SAC modular dies incorporate the neck and shoulder into the bushing. Neil Jones does the same and has so for decades. He's probably is trying to work with a wildcat with a different shoulder that SAC doesn't make. My guess anyway.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
No, SAC modular dies incorporate the neck and shoulder into the bushing. Neil Jones does the same and has so for decades. He's probably is trying to work with a wildcat with a different shoulder that SAC doesn't make. My guess anyway.
You are correct, but the shoulder angle is right, its just that they dont offer the Neck o.d. I'm looking for as its a necked down wildcat.

I have a few of the SAC modular dies and I like that they incorporate the shoulder and neck into the bushing. It wouldn't be a one time use but rather a full length resizer for reloads.

I'm using the 21st century tool you recommended to me previously in a different thread as the initial neck down, but want something more concentric for continuing to resize after firings. Now I could use a typical bushing die like a redding type s, but prefer the SAC modular, so I'm looking for a way to have bushings made. Unfortunately SAC will make them but they have a 3 piece min order with really long lead times and a price that doesn't make alot of sense, in that I could have a custom die reamed for about the same price.

BBob

WKR
What is the OD of your SAC modular bushings? Do you already have the SAC die? If not have you contacted Noel Jones about a die? Noel Jones bushings are .625” OD but his differ in that the bushing extends and overlaps a fair bit past the shoulder and over the side body of the case. Maybe he’d make some to fit the SAC? I haven’t ordered anything from him in years so I’d hope by now he’s found some help.

Last edited:
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
What is the OD of your SAC modular bushings? Do you already have the SAC die? If not have you contacted Noel Jones about a die? Noel Jones bushings are .625” OD but his differ in that the bushing extends and overlaps a fair bit past the shoulder and over the side body of the case. Maybe he’d make some to fit the SAC? I haven’t ordered anything from him in years so I’d hope by now he’s found some help.
I'll have to measure them when I get back home.
I have contacted Neil about making a die but haven't asked about the bushings. He is getting up there in age and I'm not sure if he has anyone there to take over for him or help out.

If I can't find anyone to make the SAC bushings, what I think ill do is use a redding type s at first then After I get the barrel chambered I might see if I can send him A few peices of fired brass.

I've heard to many bad things about whidden to go that route. And I dont like how the type s dies dont size the whole neck.

BBob

WKR
I don’t think the Forster bushings incorporate the shoulder into the bushing or do they? If they don’t then they are no use for the OP.

BTW there is no “forest” in Forster ;)

BBob

WKR
Forester FL die and have them hone it to your desired neck diameter.
You’re missing the sort of important detail that the Forster doesn’t incorporate the shoulder into the bushing therefore it cannot be used in the SAC modular die. He’s not just looking for a slightly altered neck diameter. SAC modular die bushings are cartridge specific and since he’s got a necked down wildcat they don’t have a shoulder angle/neck diameter bushing that works for him hence the custom bushings.

Reactions: WKR
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I get it, just saying a cheap honed forester may be a good option to spending the big bucks on a custom bushings.
Thats not an option here, its necked down not up. So if they used the parent case sizing die reamer there wouldn't be any material left to hone.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I think right now my best course of action would be to buy one of the parent case SAC bushings, send it to Neil (or another bushing maker?) And have them match all dimensions except the specified neck diameter.

Otherwise I need to go the custom die route. And besides Neil, who else out there makes good stuff?

BBob

WKR
Are you wanting a single bushing or multiples? Did you find out what diameter they are?

Either I missed it or you never posted it but what is the parent cartridge and what shoulder angle and neck diameter does it have now?

Have you tried to reach out to Uthink Uknow? He’s friends with or related to Mark Spenser which is the toolmaker.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Are you wanting a single bushing or multiples? Did you find out what diameter they are?

Either I missed it or you never posted it but what is the parent cartridge and what shoulder angle and neck diameter does it have now?

Have you tried to reach out to Uthink Uknow? He’s friends with or related to Mark Spenser which is the toolmaker.
I'm not home to do any measurements right now,
I'd prefer multiple but would be alright with one .282 or .281

I'll pm you specifics on the cartridge

I'm not familiar with uthink uknow or mark spenser. I'll look into them.