Custom Build with Bergara Action??

steiney42

FNG
Classified Approved
I currently have a Bergara B-14 in a 243 that I was thinking about building a new custom chassis rifle with an XLR stock. What is everyones options about this action? Is it a good enough action to use or should I just buy a new action to build off of. If I were to stay with the .243 action then I would probably convert the caliber to either a 6 creedmor, 6.5 creedmor, 284 win, or a 6.5/284 norma.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
It's the one you have, so it's already got a leg up. What are you hoping to gain out of a new action that your Bergara doesn't accomplish?

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going to put the money into it then I would sell that rifle and get a custom action. It will be smoother and have more features for around the same amount of money.

Legit question: can you define the more features? I thought one 700 action was pretty much the same feature set as another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legit question: can you define the more features? I thought one 700 action was pretty much the same feature set as another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a lot of feature variety among custom R700 clones.
  1. Ability to take pre-fit barrels is one most people want these days
  2. Controlled-round feed vs Push feed if that matters to you (it probably shouldn't)
  3. Two-lug vs Three-lug (and whether there's a 6 o'clock lug in the 3-lugs for easy AW feeding)
    • Related to this is bolt throw, from 60° to 90°
  4. Integral 20MOA scope base/recoil lug (integral scope base is nice, fewer weak points to your scope mounting system)
  5. Surface finishes like DLC or treatments like nitride for smoother bolt operation
  6. Bolt fluting if you're into that sort of thing
I'm sure there are other common features I'm missing that are different between customs. Some less expensive R700 custom clones would be the following.

ARC Coup de Grace - $900
Aero Solus - $925 but they go on sale very often for a low as $650
Zermatt Origin - $1,000

Dave_S

Lil-Rokslider
There's a lot of feature variety among custom R700 clones.
  1. Ability to take pre-fit barrels is one most people want these days
  2. Controlled-round feed vs Push feed if that matters to you (it probably shouldn't)
  3. Two-lug vs Three-lug (and whether there's a 6 o'clock lug in the 3-lugs for easy AW feeding)
    • Related to this is bolt throw, from 60° to 90°
  4. Integral 20MOA scope base/recoil lug (integral scope base is nice, fewer weak points to your scope mounting system)
  5. Surface finishes like DLC or treatments like nitride for smoother bolt operation
  6. Bolt fluting if you're into that sort of thing
I'm sure there are other common features I'm missing that are different between customs. Some less expensive R700 custom clones would be the following.

ARC Coup de Grace - $900
Aero Solus - $925 but they go on sale very often for a low as $650
Zermatt Origin - $1,000
In retrospect, some of that seems obvious. On the other hand, some of those things (specifically regarding bolt design and function) I didn't realize were possible in a 700 clone. Appreciate the answer.

In retrospect, some of that seems obvious. On the other hand, some of those things (specifically regarding bolt design and function) I didn't realize were possible in a 700 clone. Appreciate the answer.
If you do end up going with a custom action and don't want to go up to an Impact or Lone Peak, the ARC Coup de Grace seems very good for the money and I've heard a lot of good things.

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned two great Bergaras. But, if I was going to go the custom-on-a-budget route (which I'm planning now), I'm choosing Tikka over Bergara. IIRC there's something about the feed ramps on the Bergara that make them unsuitable for barrel nut style prefits, and the tolerances aren't close enough for shouldered prefits. Tikka, on the other hand, has close enough tolerances that you can spin on a shouldered prefit or any OEM barrel. Plus, changing from short to long action calibers is only $100 in parts.

The downside to Tikka is stock and chassis availability. But, it's honestly good enough these days that you can find what you're looking for. If you want to change calibers, Tikka is the answer. If you want to stick to 243 for now, find a used R700 chassis in the classifieds, and then re-sell and put the money into a Tikka if you decide to change calibers in the future.

If you don't care about budget, I'd go Terminus Zeus with the quick change option.

OP
steiney42

steiney42

FNG
Classified Approved
I've owned two great Bergaras. But, if I was going to go the custom-on-a-budget route (which I'm planning now), I'm choosing Tikka over Bergara. IIRC there's something about the feed ramps on the Bergara that make them unsuitable for barrel nut style prefits, and the tolerances aren't close enough for shouldered prefits. Tikka, on the other hand, has close enough tolerances that you can spin on a shouldered prefit or any OEM barrel. Plus, changing from short to long action calibers is only $100 in parts.

The downside to Tikka is stock and chassis availability. But, it's honestly good enough these days that you can find what you're looking for. If you want to change calibers, Tikka is the answer. If you want to stick to 243 for now, find a used R700 chassis in the classifieds, and then re-sell and put the money into a Tikka if you decide to change calibers in the future.

If you don't care about budget, I'd go Terminus Zeus with the quick change option.
Yeah, I totally agree with you that the tolerances of the tikka are much better and overall just a better action. I was mainly just wondering if it was worth dumping money into that action since I already had it just sitting in the safe. I am thinking that I’d do a 6 creedmor and it sounds like most people think it’d be better to buy a new action.

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I totally agree with you that the tolerances of the tikka are much better and overall just a better action. I was mainly just wondering if it was worth dumping money into that action since I already had it just sitting in the safe. I am thinking that I’d do a 6 creedmor and it sounds like most people think it’d be better to buy a new action.
I wouln't break apart a Bergara for a build. It's likely worth more to you as a backup in its current configuration. A B-14 Hunter sells for $600 new, so $450 used? $450 is worth it to me to have a rifle I trust in the back of the safe.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
To buy a new barrel and have it chambered/installed is probably $7-800. A custom action will be $9-1200, plus $6-800 for a prefit.

What is going to be the use for this gun? Are you legitimately planning on shooting out barrels? There absolutely are quality of life increases with custom actions. But if this is a hunting rifle, that's going to have the same 6CM barrel on it for the next 15 years and get shot 20 times a year, I'd just keep the Bergara.

Your chassis will be r700 footprint, so if in a year or two you want to go custom it will transfer.

Also if you just like nice things and have the money to spend, that's all out the window. Get a custom and enjoy it. I have several, they are very nice, but I also shoot competitively.

TaperPin

WKR
If you’re happy with the fit and finish of the gun as is, there’s no reason to upgrade. Our kids are all into the latest greatest high $$ rifles, so I keep a Remington action I paid $200 for just to show how little difference the action makes. Save the money and invest it in a top quality barrel.

Mattman215

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest thing is that Bergara action most likely will never have the accuracy capabilities of a hand made rifle unless it is trued. You could have got lucky but most likely it will be your limiting factor if you build off that action. You need to have it trued by a good gunsmith. Once it is trued it should be every bit as accurate as a custom, just the cost of the non trued action plus the smith fees to true it up usually costs more than a custom action that will also have the above features others have already mentioned.

If money is tight I would prob throw a new barrel on the rifle and have a good gun smith look over the chassis to see if it has any bad points or needs a custom bed job. With your current rifle I bet you could get a barrel and a bedding Job if needed for under 1k and I bet it will shoot nearly one hole. If you have the money or just want a unique fun and very nice rifle I would sell the rifle and go full custom. Keep in mind not all custom out shoot good factory rifles. Also if you are not going to reload you may not see a huge increase in accuracy as factory ammo can have large spreads in velocity.

But it depends what you want and what your goal is. I will say new Remington actions are garbage and nothing compared to the old Remingtons. Bergeras are hit and miss on quality and accuracy. If yku are having good accuracy your action may not be that bad and a new barrel and or stock chassis, trigger could improve accuracy to the same as any full custom.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited: