Custom #3 Build Options

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up a Ruger #3, which is basically a #1 with a different lever and carbine style wood. This is in 223 and has proven to be fun and accurate to shoot, but I really want to turn this into a custom rifle, capable for deer, antelope, and possibly elk.

I have already found a semi-inletted fancy walnut stock and should have it next week. Inletting/bedding the wood should not be an issue, and I even plan on teaching myself how to checker a stock. I have a complete wood shop
and experience in woodworking, so the stock work is something I really look forward to. About the only tools I will need to source will be checkering tools and barrel bedding scrapers.

For now, I plan on keeping it as 223 a little longer just to play with it some more. The end state though is to have a new barrel installed in another caliber. Top of the list of calibers is 280AI. Another choice (not for elk)
is the 257 Roberts. I have an older tang safety Ruger in 257 that I really don't shoot and will probably sell to fund this project. I already have lots of reloading components for 257 Rob and that would be a fun caliber to have
in a single shot. Another caliber range I am considering is the 6.5, but I am not sure what cartridge would make the best use of a single shot. Maybe a 6.5-06? Length would not matter, but I am guessing that a rebated rim on some of them would not work

I can get a contoured, chambered, threaded, and crowned barrel from Douglas for a reasonable cost. The stainless steel is $70 more than chrome-moly, but I am not sure if I really need to go with SS. I know that if I want the
barrel blued, that I need to stick with CM, but I am not against the look of a blued action with SS barrel. Of course cerakote is another option. I have two different local gunsmiths that could install the barrel.

Anyone here have a Ruger #1 or #3 customized?

What caliber would you go with?

What barrel manufacture would you choose? Douglas can replicate the Ruger #1 Sporter profile. I am really not familiar with the profile numbers, but would like a nice sporter profile, but it does not need to be the #1 profile.

What other features would you consider such as scope mounting? I am not sold on having the quarter rib, but if I do, it will probably not be a Ruger part. The rifle currently has regular bases mounted directly to the barrel and I think I prefer that style of base.