Current AI debate.

CorbLand

WKR
Don’t know enough about it but it is a little scary because it is so new. Lots of things that where supposed to be the end of mankind have come and gone to no avail.

The bigger question is how do you stop it at this point? The answer is you can’t.

*zap*

WKR
pretty sure that 'they' probably have advanced ai already...also what explains the surge of technology within such a short time frame?

I like the post above which talks about many centuries of hunter gathers and then the end came fast....

COelk89

FNG
None of the programs that exist contain anything resembling intelligence. They are predictive models with extremely large training datasets. They do nothing more than predict what the next word should be based on the previous word. My brain does not work like that does yours?

Poser

WKR
The thing is with the hunting question is that no one has likely applied AI learning specifically to the hunting sector. Rest assured, other areas of the outdoor retail sector are already on this. As I do some work in this field, I have seen it in action. Example is below and note this is still in its infancy. It won’t take much for a tech company like OnX to apply AI modeling to hunting. They may already be doing it.

69beb92864c82b15883bbbb6171d3197.jpg

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
I understand Elon's concern to take a 6 month moratorium in order to create safety guidelines before further development of AI, but I doubt his concerns are so pure, but rather motivated by money, and his need for a time-out in order for him to catch up.

Artificial intelligence is the way of the future.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
It is the future but I think the 6 month break is to discuss the problems that come with AI. I read that the estimated jobloss is 315 million jobs by 2030. Maybe a break to discuss thing such as this. Sure there will be jobs created but that is a huge estimated loss of jobs. What to do with all those employed folks. But then if there is a break to discuss the potential problems, the Chinese won't stop. Lot of important issues with AI that need to be discussed. But it is here and it is the future

hikenhunt

WKR
My wife teaches at an online high school and a few teachers couldn't figure out how a particular student was getting his work done so quickly. They checked all the usual resources for cheating and didn't come up with anything. Then they found out he was using AI and he didn't understand why it would be considered wrong/cheating.

With that perspective, its interesting to think about how AI will impact school and human knowledge. What will be necessary to learn versus what can you just ask AI?

elkguide

WKR
A student asked a professor a question he wasn't sure of,
so he quickly went to Google to find the answer.
He found the answer and then retorted, "what did we do without Google?"
A student replied, "we knew things!"

Have a buddy studying mathmatics at a large and prestigious tech college, some professors at the institution (some fo which have a class on AI) are currently writing AI to detect mathmatic solutions and papers created by AI that students have been turning in…. Crazy stuff. It’s definitely an arms race

bobinmi

WKR
Says the guy who's launched over 3k low orbiting satellites so far with another 9k planned to grid the planet, sure he's doing it for a good cause?
Do you know he's the founder of Neuralink?
He wants to implant chips in your brain.

Slow your roll princess. I'm only talking about the quote, and it's a good one if Big Bird said it. I'm only giving credit because I didn't think of it myself. I have 0 comment on the rest of your mini rant. I hope you feel better.