Cuben Fiber Questions/Concerns

jm1607

WKR
I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to start using Cuben Fiber stuff/dry sacks or Outdoor Research Ultralight dry/stuff sacks to hold all my gear in my pack. Going to put my food in one bag, sleeping bag in one (possibly the Zpack pillow bag), and clothes in one. Maybe one for electronics. So 3-4 bags total. I currently have Kifaru pullouts for my hygiene/emergency/kill kits and am very happy with them.

I guess my main concern is that I really like how the cuben fiber weighs a little bit less than everything else I can find, but not ever seeing it in person I'm worried about the noise level and durability among other things.. Price doesn't really matter at this point lol..

What do u guys think would be a better option for just holding gear and keeping it dry in my pack?

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With small gear the weight savings in minimal , meaning stuff sacks etc. WIth larger gear like a pack bag it is more , but of course why not just have a CF pack and save weight all around ?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I use both and have been really happy with the Zpacks cuben drysacks and stuff sacks. I plan to get a few more this year.

I just made my first cuben fiber tarp. Made it out of the .67 oz camo cuben fiber that just came out. This is the first time I've seen or had any experience with cuben fiber. Cuben feels like Mylar that you see in balloons. It's super thin although I guess it's plenty strong. Upside is it sews easy and the seam tape that is sold works well. Only thing I don't like about the cuben is it doesn't compress near as well as say sil-nylon. My next project is to do as you are talking and order some more cuben for some stuff sacks. Good luck

DaveC

WKR
The gram/dollar ratio make cuben sacks one of the worst buys out there. The OR Lightweight drysacks work well and are decently durable.

Last edited: