crocs or lightweight trail runners for camp shoes when backpacking in?

sk1

WKR
i am leaning towards trail shoes for my hunt in 10 days even though there is a weight penalty...just looking for a cheap pair for now, not break the bank....am considering the new balance 626 at $50 and 1lb 8oz for the pair
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ne...ilterString=s~new-balance-626/&colorFamily=01

also for you croc fans, supposedly these are lighter
http://www.comforthouse.com/comfortclog.html

i know there are lighter shoes out there, but i figure for the price those arent bad......anyone else take shoes in?

Lawnboi

WKR
The set of trail runners you have in your link are way way heavier than most of the UL ones. Should be able to find some for around half that weight for only a little bit more.

i dont care for crocs, but i do love my brooks pure grits.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
my man card just wont let me be seen with crocs yet so i usually take flip flops

It took me awhile to get up the nerve to buy some. Then the girl that was ringing me up at the cash register made fun me haha! But man they are so comfy. I could care less anymore.

Man up and buy them. Also you can buy them online if you can't handle being seen in the store with them. I sport them outside my pack proudly because camp shoes are a must.

Yukondog

WKR
my man card just wont let me be seen with crocs yet so i usually take flip flops

I felt the same way until I met the man only known as "Handle Bars", at least that is how he introduced himself. We were on the continental divide trail close to Rocky Mtn NP. The man comes booking up the trail and he asks where we are headed. I said we were on a simple overnight trip looking for elk. I returned the question and he answered "Canada." I nearly crapped my pants. To see this guy was a sight. North of 70yrs old wearing a kilt, tall and no more than 175lbs. This was in July. I called BS and I do believe I have never affended someone so bad in my life. He had started in Mexico in March and was taking the whole trail to Canada.

Strapped to the outside of his TINY pack......... you guessed it, CROCS! Then and there I become a believer in them. If this guy uses them why in the heck should I not on a 7 day backpacking hunt. He blew my mind!

Matt

hodgeman

WKR

Your man card won't take Crocs but will accept Flip Flops?

I don't care what anybody says...pulling off a pair of heavy, stiff mountaineering boots after a 6000' all day climb and wearing some camp shoes around in the evening is pure heaven.

dotman

WKR
Too funny, I have crocs and was going to retire them this year. Well now I don't want to ruin the brand new trail runner I bought to replace them so i'll take the crocs again. While the shoes are not expensive it sure would be nice to keep one pair of shoes nice for awhile, so they are now my new gym shoes, lol.

rodney482

WKR
aqua socks are very light, cheap, work great for washing off in the creek..

They are quick drying as well and make for a nice camp shoe when dry.

mtmiller

WKR
I guess I should have searched a little further before I started the other post. Thanks for the info.

just bought a pair of crocs. love em. ugly, yes, but are great for around camp or short hikes. my 5 year old liked mine so much he made mom go out and get him a pair. :) they protect your feet, dont worry about getting them wet(dry quickly), and are airy.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
I must have pride issues or something I don't think I could ever pull myself to wearing crocs or flip flops if im gonna be around camp id rather go barefoot or I'll just keep the boots on. although I wear boots 365 days a year so I think my boots are comfy.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
LOL Yukondog. That guy sounds like a character. Crocs and a kilt with a titanium man card. Great encounter! …..also makes me feel better about my crocs. Too breezy for a kilt though.