crocs or lightweight trail runners for camp shoes when backpacking in?

Haven't hike, but I never hike in mine. They are scrictly camp shoes/creek crossing shoes so I expect them to last quite a while

i dont hike in mine either unless youd call walking the steepest sidewalked hill on my way home from work with a heavy pack hiking. ive pretty much only run in them a few days a week for the last 6 mo

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Gotcha, I would venture to guess I put less than 2 miles on mine last year. I literally only wear them around camp dinking around and crossing creeks. I don't wear them around the house, got other cheaper, heavier, and more comfy shoes for walking around when NOT backpacking.

From the reviews I've read that seems to be pretty common. Most people using them for trail running are getting about 6 months out of them or 100-200 miles. I won't be using them for running just creek crossings and stalking shoes.

well that sucks as i do like as i do like running in them, i should get a sole picture as theres very little wear there

bowuntr

WKR
Nock off Crocs for me. Better for walking than flip flops. On backcountry hunts you have to take care of your feet and give them a break. Ed F

rodney482

WKR

Wrench77

WKR
I spoke to a rep from Merrell today. He said they have a highly breathable mesh upper so they should dry fairly fast.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I use crocs but if I had a little cash to burn right now, I'd be getting some UL trial runners.

Kotaman

WKR
Ordered some of the merrells to try. My previous "camp" shoe were the Nike Aqua Socks. Not the most comfortable around camp but good for creek crossings...Hoping these Merrells will be a bit more comfortable.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I am in need of some new river crossing shoes that see duty as camp shoes too. I normally use teva style sandals, but am looking to drop some pack weight this year so I was taking a look at these:

http://www.unshoesusa.com/pahtempe.html

Anyone use them? What are their thoughts? At just under 3oz each they are certainly light.

Also question for the guys that are using ultralight running or trail running shoes, how fast are they drying? I really hate sloggy wet feet. If it's quick enough I may try those to avoid gravel issues that sandals have and get the added use of stalking shoes for a small weight gain (seems there are some in the 5-7oz each range).

Thanks!

Sunspot

WKR
Crocs are cozy but when they get wet they are dangerously slippery. No thanks for anything more than a quick run to the beer store slip-on for me. Watersocks seem to work well.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I must have pride issues or something I don't think I could ever pull myself to wearing crocs or flip flops if im gonna be around camp id rather go barefoot or I'll just keep the boots on. although I wear boots 365 days a year so I think my boots are comfy.

I was like you until I bought a pair. Man are they comfortable. The hell with how they look!

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I am in need of some new river crossing shoes that see duty as camp shoes too. I normally use teva style sandals, but am looking to drop some pack weight this year so I was taking a look at these:

http://www.unshoesusa.com/pahtempe.html

Anyone use them? What are their thoughts? At just under 3oz each they are certainly light.

Also question for the guys that are using ultralight running or trail running shoes, how fast are they drying? I really hate sloggy wet feet. If it's quick enough I may try those to avoid gravel issues that sandals have and get the added use of stalking shoes for a small weight gain (seems there are some in the 5-7oz each range).

Thanks!

Most of the shoes of this type have seemed pretty heavy to me.

NEhunter

WKR
I was like you until I bought a pair. Man are they comfortable. The hell with how they look!
Thats what I'm saying. I bought a pair earlier this year, and man are they ugly but so comfortable. Not too worried about what the other guys in camp think of how my shoes look.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the shoes of this type have seemed pretty heavy to me.

Do you mean teva sandals, the unashoe pah tempe, or lightweight runining shoes?

Tevas certainly are, but I am impressed by the pah tempe under 3 oz weight and the fact there are running shoes 5-6 oz.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
As previously mentioned Aqua socks work well. They are a a bit heavy but pack flat, dry quick, are warm without socks and cheap. I always have a pair backpacking for stream crossings. I usually try to pack a fly rod when I can so these come in handy for that too. Feel good after the boots come off.