critique my sept elk backpack list

nturpin

FNG
Me and two buddies are going elk hunting Sept 1 -9th in southern Colorado. It looks like we will be between 8-10k foot backpack hunting each day and carrying camps on our back. I am looking at bettering my backpack list to see where I need to add or drop. Money is a factor so I don't want to change equipment if not a huge drop in weight. Any help is appreciated.

Back pack elk gear list
• Pack
o Mystery Ranch Marshall
o MR Rain Cover
o MR bear spray holster and bear spray
o MR side pockets x2
• Sleeping Gear
o Klymit 20 Mummy bag
o Klymit static vlux
o Marmot tungsten 2p tent
o Thermarest down pillow
• Water
o Platypus 2L on pack
o MSR Dromlite 6L extra
o Nalgene Bottle
o Steripen
o Aquatabs
• Clothing Packed
o Cabelas space saver Raingear Jacket & Pants
o Kentrek Gaiters
o Sitka Traverse Cold weather hoodie
o Cabelas guide light pants
o Firstlite Allegheny mid weight bottoms
o Sitka traverse zip t
o UA Boxers x2
o Beanie
o UA light weight gloves
o Light weight facemask
o Over-the calf Darn Tough and Kenetrek socks
• Clothes worn
o First lite otc sock
o First lite Kanab 2.0
o UA Boxers
o UA lightweight top
o Danner High Ground un-insulated boot
o Back country Hunters & Anglers Hat
o Badlands bino harness
o windchecker
o Trekking poles
• Camera
o Nikon cool pic aw130
o Joby mount
• Safety & Personal
o Wetfire
o Lighter
o 1p med kit
o Body wipes
o MSR spork & Spoon
o TP x2
• Navigation
o Paper maps
o GPS Garmin Montana
o Compass
• Kill Kit
o Caribou gear wapiti kit
o Paracord 30’
o Latex gloves
o Electric tape
o Havalon knife replaceable
o Outdoor edge fixed
• Lights
o Black diamond storm x2
• Optics
o Vortex summit ss-p tripod
o Krotos 15x-45x spotter
o Vortex Diamond back 10x42
o Leupold RX-II Rangefinder
• Weapon
o Mathews Halon
o Montana black gold 5 pin
o Trophy ridge 5 arrow quiver
o Ripcord ace rest
o FMJ 5mm 300 spine tipped montec cs 100grain
o Jim fletcher .44 caliber release
o Stokerized stabilizer
• Food / Day
o Mountain house x2 assorted
o Honey stinger waffles assorted
o Trail mix
o One bar x2
• Misc.
o Batteries aa-aaa
o Allen wrench set
o Leatherman multitool

Seems like a lot of clothing. one of each should be good enough.

Any first aid stuff? emergency fire starter - may not need this year as the fires may already be started? emergency space blanket? have what you need to spend the night out away from camp and to close up any large cuts, gashes, etc.

Seems like too much water. I usually carry 2 quart bottles max unless I am setting up camp on a high dry ridge. During the day I carry a quart and a filter and drink as I go. there is a lot of water in the mountains you just need to learn how to find it.

gaitors? not sure why you these in Sept. if it snows it won't last long or be very deep

I’d dump the 6L bladder, the extra pants, one pair of underwear, the long underwear, one pair of socks, one knife (since you have the leather man), the spotter, the bear spray

Add back something to mix in your water for taste. Without a filter you may end up with some sketch water depending where you are down south in the state. Nothing worse that drinking bandana filtered puddle water cleaned with tabs-tastes just like whatever was in the puddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the gaiters. If you ever walked thru wet grass you know why. I would thin down the clothing list, and my steripen eats batteries, plan on fresh batteries for each couple gallons of treated water. It does do better with the $$ lithium batts.

Traverse cold weather hoody is pretty heavy for backpacking and I don't recall if they are as warm as say a kenai or uncompahgre. Not that it won't work but it seems heavier than needed.

Add back something to mix in your water for taste. Without a filter you may end up with some sketch water depending where you are down south in the state. Nothing worse that drinking bandana filtered puddle water cleaned with tabs-tastes just like whatever was in the puddle

Hey! that's my favorite drink - bandana pond water. Actually been times when it did taste soooo good.

Another vote to swap the cold weather hoodie for a puffy. pick either pant not both or leave on at the truck. Replace fire starter with fire extinguisher .

If your not out for a once in a lifetime bull and an average one will do I would ditch the spotter and for that time of year gaiters likely not to advantageous unless the forecast before go time says lots of rain and or snow likely.

I would agree to dump the spotter and tripod, and with that UA base top you won't be able to stand your own stench after a few days. I'd pick up a lightweight merino base top and use that instead. That list sure looks like a lot of stuff.

Ditch the pillow. Bring a small pillow case or use a meat bag and stuff it with your extra clothes or get one of the ultra light inflatable pillows.

For the rest of it, pack it up and go on a 7 mile hike. You'll figure out what is essential and what can get left at the truck.

I dont like to carry a spotter and tripod for elk. They are big enough that a good set of 8s or 10s can easily pick them out at long distance.
Everything else comes down to personal preference and you'll have to learn as you go. Worry more about finding and killing elk.

I also would dump the bear spray, tripod and spotter. Agree that the UA top would be better replaced with merino, and a puffy instead of the Traverse hoody. Also would drop the extra pants and 1 pair of underwear. I've not packed a Leatherman and not sure I've ever really wished I had one. But I suppose there could come a time? I shoot a recurve so don't need a full set of Allen wrenches. Can you get by with just a couple for your bow instead of the full set?

I’d unload those UA base layers. Agreed as stated. They hold odors something terrible. Get yourself some decent merino wool base layers quick like. Best of luck to you on your hunt!

Guys I do appreciate all the advice. When I wrote down my list I thought “ I have a lot of S**t”. With my bow my weight was at 54lbs with no food. I was really thinking “I have a ton of S**T” I have hiked 20 so miles so far with my gear besides bow packed in my pack. Just finished an 8 mile this morning. I really feel like I need to cut on my sleep system and clothes. The cold weather hoodie is heavier than I thought it would be when I ordered it. I don't have a good place within a few hours to try on equipment so it’s research and order and hope. It’s hard for me to cut the cord so to say with the spotter. But I will probably leave it in the truck.

Food and all my pack weighs 34 pounds. No water. That doesn’t count my bow. I can stay in for 4 days at that Wright.

Back