Almost ready to hit the mountains - how's the gear list coming along?

Was revisiting the gear I've slowly been accumulating in prep for heading out west next fall and feeling pretty good about where I'm at - thankfully this list has also been helpful with my eastern whitetail/turkey pursuits, as well as an upcoming trip to Patagonia. How's it coming along?

Working Gear list

Weapons/Optics
Mathews Atlas (Gold Tip Quantum Black Label 340, Montec M3)
Spot Hogg Wiseguy release

Browning Hell’s Canyon Speed .270 win, 130gr Barnes TTSX handloads
Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14x40

Vortex Viper HD 10x42
Bushnell rangefinder (1200)
Stone Glacier Skyline bino/rf harness
Vortex High Country II tripod

Pack
Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80

Food and water
Source 3L water bladder
Sawyer squeeze (with bags)
Aquamira (backup water treatment)
Jetboil Flash (with fuel)
Sea to summit long/light fork
Backpackers pantry (assorted)
Coffee

Shelter
Kuiu Storm Star (w/footprint)
REI Magma 15 Sleeping Bag (long)
Thermarest Neoair Xlite (long)
Trekology ultralight pillow

Electronics
Black Diamond Storm Headlamp
Black Diamond Moji lantern
Anker Powercore 20k
Garmin inreach explorer
Garmin forerunner 945
Phone cable
Batteries

Clothing
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400
Darn Tough Socks x2
Sitka Core lightweight hoody
Sitka Mountain Pant
Sitka Jetstream Jacket
Sitka Mountain gloves
Kuiu attack pants
REI 650 down 2.0
Frog Togg rain jacket
Unknown brand of thermal top/bottoms

Various
Cascade mountain tech trekking poles
Benchmade Crooked river mini
Calls/bugle tube

Personal care and Essentials
Toothbrush & Paste
Dude Wipes
Chapstick
Fire: Bic Mini, Tinder, & Fuel Cube in Waterproof Can
First Aid: Ibuprofen, Sleep Aid, Bandages, Leukotape
Repair Kit: Patch Kit, Zip Ties, Hex Keys
Heavy Duty Contractor Bag
Paracord
Firestarter
Space Blanket
Emergency Bivy

Remaining items on list to pick up
Gaiters (Kenetrek)
Spotting scope (if I wind up going rifle)
Game bags
A few dry sacks
Maybe a few more layers for late season
Rain pants
Knife for cleaning
Windchecker
Microspikes

svivian

WKR
You’re thinking at least a 0 degree bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The comfort rating on your current bag is 28 degrees, the survival rating is 15 degrees. I am not sure what season you will be hunting in but I would take this into consideration.

Scoot

WKR
Obviously depends on what kind of temps you might be facing, but I agree with WTBT.

Gerbdog

WKR
Agreed with the others, err on the side of over doing it on your sleep system... you'll be thankful when your not feeling any cold at night and sleep the whole way through.

Roll of flagging (orange, pink, bright) in your kill kit, incase you get stuck in a crappy tracking situation, they happen and can make it easier to see the line the animal was taking when you look back at the flagging... just make sure you pick it all back up either on the first load or the last (hopefully light?) load.

i appreciate the space blanket and emergency bivy you have, my day pack always has these as well, never know when things go wrong and your gonna be in for a long night. If things go well i've used that space blanket to hang up over meat to keep the sun off while im packing out

OP
WestTexasBestTexas
Great feedback everyone - the plan right now is archery for 22, but depending on the timing I’m sure I’ll do some later season trips. I’ll be on the lookout for a beefier bag just in case.

fatlander

WKR
Buy some platypus bags for the Sawyer squeeze.

OP
WestTexasBestTexas
Agreed with the others, err on the side of over doing it on your sleep system... you'll be thankful when your not feeling any cold at night and sleep the whole way through.

Roll of flagging (orange, pink, bright) in your kill kit, incase you get stuck in a crappy tracking situation, they happen and can make it easier to see the line the animal was taking when you look back at the flagging... just make sure you pick it all back up either on the first load or the last (hopefully light?) load.

i appreciate the space blanket and emergency bivy you have, my day pack always has these as well, never know when things go wrong and your gonna be in for a long night. If things go well i've used that space blanket to hang up over meat to keep the sun off while im packing out

Yes - my #1 goal is to not die on the mountain, and trying not to forget that! Great call on the flagging too.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good but might want to go with Sitka timberline pants for late season instead of the mountain pants

If you're trying to spread out your purchases, maybe buy the XTherm pad first. For a few more ounces it'll keep you a little warmer in September. That was my experience anyway. Now unless I'm pretty certain on good warm weather I just rock the XTherm and sleep warm.

Not sure what you mean by bandages, but always worth beefing up med kit, tourniquets, Israeli/pressure bandages, blood clotting gauze, medical scissors, Sam splint,

And coolers for hauling meat home 👍

puckhead

FNG
Wouldn't bother with gaiters for archery. Won't go without them in late season snow. I prefer the stone glacier gaiters over the kenetreks, though my buddy wore kenetreks on our 4th season hunt and they did fine for him.

cnelk

WKR
Rethink gaiters. I use them - especially when hunting in blowdown beetle kill.
They will keep broken branches from catching your pant cuffs and tripping you up.

Been there. Done that.

woods89

WKR
I would not want insulated boots, for sure for archery. I've worn uninsulated boots in 3rd and 4th seasons with no issues. Yes, your toes get cold occasionally, but I would soak socks like crazy hiking in insulated boots. This probably differs from person to person, though. My experience is CO, further north would be different.
Ymmv.

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I did a MT archery and rifle hunt this year. I used non-insulated boots for both hunts and used thicker socks for early Nov rifle and they were fine.

I'd look at Stone Glacier gaiters, my kenetreks popped rivets on the lace hooks.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
My .02 - think about rain gear failure my experience tells me frog tog rain jacket might not last long