Critique my clothing for CO early season elk!

This is the clothing I'll be taking or what I'm planning on taking on a 10 day bivy hunt in CO. I'll probably split the trip into two 5 day excursions from the vehicle.

Outerwear
Kuiu Guide Gloves-probably won't take these as my hands never get cold... but they weigh next to nothing.
Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu Merino Beanie
Kuiu Guide Beanie
Kuiu Guide Jacket
Underarmour Hat
Kuiu Gaiters-when they come out

Baselayers
Kuiu Merino Top 180
Kuiu Merino Bottom 180
Smartwool Medium Hiker Socks 2 pair
Polypro liner socks 2 pair

Raingear
Goretex Paclite Pants
Goretex Paclite Jacket

Footwear
Saloman Quest4D's

Lawnboi

WKR
Try merino liner socks, only suggestion. I never liked the plastic bag feeling of poly liners, but the merino liners are nice. I even use them sometimes alone when hiking really hard or when its really hot

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
What elevation and dates are you planning on going?

Only reason I ask is early/mid Sept at 5k-8k feet you'll probably be fine. 8k+ and you might encounter some downright chilly temps in the morning or when an all day storm rolls in.

Ron

Chad R

FNG
I would add a merino short sleeve shirt and a couple merino boxer briefs. I would also second dotman’s recommendation for fleece or some type of synthetic mid-layer. You will appreciate its breathability vs. using the soft-shell jacket. You may even want to switch out the Kuiu Guide jacket for an insulting jacket (like the Kuiu Spindrift) to wear at night in camp, particularly if you will not be using a heated shelter. You could see snow at some point over your 10-day hunt so bringing along gloves would be a good idea.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
I would consider ditching either the Guide Jacket or Rain jacket and replace with a vest. I never thought much about vests until I tried them a few years ago. I am a believer now. Keep that core warm and save weight.

I see you are a KUIU guy but the Guide Vest looks pretty thin to me. I use a Sitka Celsius and like it a lot. I would like to see KUIU come out with a vest version of the Spindrift.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing I see you have on top is a 180 shirt and the jacket.

I don't know where your hunting in Co. but I don't think that's enough. I would add another layer or two.

What no skivys? You hunt commando....

I'd ditch the plastic liners. Get silk or don't use any.

If your hands don't get cold then I would get a cheap pair of camo gloves and cut the fingers off just to camo the hands a bit. I'd take the Guide gloves for when it is cold.......and wet.

Might look into some short gaitors for the Solomans too.

JG358

WKR
I'd add on a vest and maybe another layer like the First Lite Labrador. Never know what you'll run into for weather.

Like Bowhnter7 mentioned, might want to look into a pair of trail running gators. Sucks picking seeds and burs out of your socks.

Last I checked KUIU dropped the gaitor project.

and I would kick the 185 bottoms as well a the polypro liners and add a guide vest and a 250 top and some boxers from First Lite.

OP
ohhiitznik
I didn't list boxers, figured that was a given. I use Exefficio boxer briefs and they are amazing. No stench even after a week. I was looking into a vest, but I'm a literal polar bear, I do not get cold easy at all. I do have a sitka traverse top I'll probably add to the list.

D

david long

In my opinion.....you need another insulation layer. You may encounter some really cold mornings, especially if you will be sitting glassing for any amount of time. I use a lightweight Marmot 800 fill Zeus down vest. It weighs next to nothing and compresses very small. It also doubles as a nice fluffy pillow at night :)
zeus.jpg

dotman

WKR
Vests really are amazing, once you go this route you'll find yourself useing the jacket less and less. Yes you may be a polar bear but man will you be kicking yourself if you don't have it and need it. The little added weight is nothing and anyway you train with 190lbs so you won't even know it is there :). One more layer and your golden.