crispi

gbflyer

WKR
Looking at the Valdres. Do they run narrow? I'm normally a 10.5 but unsure if I should order wide size or size up to 11

Probably a little on the narrow side of standard but the toe box is generous. I can tell you that my Valdres and my guides fit exactly the same. I have come to understand that I have a low volume foot. Good news is that Black Ovis will let you send them back if they don’t fit.

My new ones should be here today.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
looking at getting a pair of crispi boots thinking of going with the rest river. Im wondering how well they hold up and how many seasons ppl get out of them? i know depends on what kind of hunting, how well you take care of them ect... I'm just curious what other like or dont like about them before I spend alot of money on them. thanks
I have the Colorado's. I trained in them the first season to break them in and then only use in the mountains and they get about 20-40 miles a season and I'm going on my 5th season. Worth the cost! Going to pick up a second pair this year for my work boot. So much more comfortable than the typical shit kicker boot I wear. I picked up the Sheep Feet insoles and have not had a blister to speak of for 4 years....instead of every dang year!

nobody

WKR
So if I go Valdres i should probably order 10.5 wide to be safe. Also reading the Lapponia 2 runs big, so need to size down a half size to 10. Thoughts?

MidwayUSA is running a great deal right now on both boots
If you have an average foot or a wider than average foot, the Valdres probably won’t fit you at all even if you go wide. The mold they make them on is super narrow, so even a wide Valdres is narrower than a standard width Guide or Nevada. I owned and tried to make a Valdres work for a week before exchanging for a lapponia 2.

I have an average foot and tried sizing down for my lapponia because “the internet said to,” and I immediately regretted it and returned it for my actual size. The lapponia 2’s are lace to toe so you can really adjust their width and fit and make them work. I would just order the size you always wear. My opinion is if a guy needs to go up or down in size to make a boot fit right, he bought the wrong boot.

EDIT TO ADD: if you have an average width and built foot, just buy a Nevada or a guide or a west river and hike them into oblivion. Then pay the $100 to have them resoled. Those 3 boots will work for 98% of hunters across the continent.

jwags551

FNG
If you have an average foot or a wider than average foot, the Valdres probably won’t fit you at all even if you go wide. The mold they make them on is super narrow, so even a wide Valdres is narrower than a standard width Guide or Nevada. I owned and tried to make a Valdres work for a week before exchanging for a lapponia 2.

I have an average foot and tried sizing down for my lapponia because “the internet said to,” and I immediately regretted it and returned it for my actual size. The lapponia 2’s are lace to toe so you can really adjust their width and fit and make them work. I would just order the size you always wear. My opinion is if a guy needs to go up or down in size to make a boot fit right, he bought the wrong boot.

EDIT TO ADD: if you have an average width and built foot, just buy a Nevada or a guide or a west river and hike them into oblivion. Then pay the $100 to have them resoled. Those 3 boots will work for 98% of hunters across the continent.
Well maybe I should reconsider. I'm looking for loghtweight, with support to pack out when needed, fall elk, spring turkey, and everything between. Considering Valdres, Lapponia, and Altitude. Sounds like Lapponia is the move.

nobody

WKR
Well maybe I should reconsider. I'm looking for loghtweight, with support to pack out when needed, fall elk, spring turkey, and everything between. Considering Valdres, Lapponia, and Altitude. Sounds like Lapponia is the move.
Altitude fits narrower than the Valdres too, as an FYI.

If you think you’d like the lapponia, wait a couple more months before buying. They’re coming out with a new version with an upgraded sole. It’ll be worth the wait.

jwags551

FNG
Altitude fits narrower than the Valdres too, as an FYI.

If you think you’d like the lapponia, wait a couple more months before buying. They’re coming out with a new version with an upgraded sole. It’ll be worth the wait.
I can get the Lapponia II from MidwayUSA shipped today for $202.50. Is it worth waiting? I feel like this is a deal. Do you know more about the upgraded sole?

nobody

WKR
I can get the Lapponia II from MidwayUSA shipped today for $202.50. Is it worth waiting? I feel like this is a deal. Do you know more about the upgraded sole?
It’s getting a vibram lug sole like is on the guide/nevada/west river. I love the lapponia, but the weak point is the outsole. I’ve said a million times that if the lapponia had the guide sole it would be the perfect boot, period. Now that’s exactly what’s happening. It’s coming out at/around the hunt expo. I would wait if I was you, but that’s just me.

I have no experience with the West River. I do have experience with the Nevadas (leather), Attiva Mid GTX (suede/synthetic) and the Crossover Pro Light GTX (suede). By the time the soles on my Nevadas wore out, I still never had any water leakage. The Attivas leaked almost immediately when walking through wet grass (which should be fairly expected, as they are not advertised as waterproof). The Crossover did not leak until the stitching between the leather band and the suede upper started ripping, which was about three seasons into wearing the boots (roughly 300-400 miles). I still wear all of them in different conditions.

Takeaway: in my experience, get reliable leather boots if you want to prevent leakage.

Bought my Nevadas in 2020 and they are still my main boot today. All i do is clean them up good and apply sno seal to them at the end of the season prior to storing them away for a bit.

I personally don’t have any negatives to say about mine, great boot.

jwags551

FNG
It’s getting a vibram lug sole like is on the guide/nevada/west river. I love the lapponia, but the weak point is the outsole. I’ve said a million times that if the lapponia had the guide sole it would be the perfect boot, period. Now that’s exactly what’s happening. It’s coming out at/around the hunt expo. I would wait if I was you, but that’s just me.
Hmm not sure I'd like more lug sole on the Lapponia, but maybe? Seems like it would take away from the boots ability to quietly stalk. I can always buy the discount pair now and return once the new model comes out, if i want the new model. Thanks for your help tho, greatly appreciated!

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the guides and yeah they are leaking. So next boots won’t be crispis.

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know about those, but I've had 2 pairs of the summits and they both leaked walking through wet grass! No more for me
What are you thinking of as a replacement? I’m in the same situation with my guide boots.

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve never owned a pair of Goretex/leather boots that don’t leak. We get 100” of rain a year and I work outside so I have a little experience. As a matter of fact even the venerable Xtratuffs leak.

Nikwax works well on the Crispis. Hit them with it every couple of months.

Lefjab10

FNG
I have been wearing Crispi boots 2 years now. My feet are pretty banged up from years of running, military college, USMC, getting older, etc. and I have a bunion on each foot. I have found that Crispi boots are wider in the toe box than some of the other brands. No complaints at all - been using insulated Hunters and Wild Rock GTX for mid- and late-season WY elk hunting. Just picked up noninsulated Guide boots. They all fit true to size, break-in period is minimal and they have held up well. Their customer service is also great - you get an actual person who is knowledgeable and can answer questions. I haven't had to return a pair or get them serviced, so I can't speak to that aspect of their customer service. Totally recommend Crispi.

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
What are you thinking of as a replacement? I’m in the same situation with my guide boots.
I have kenetrek mountain extremes. Awesome boots, but Arch on them are a little high for me. But there nice!
Still looking, lol

looking at getting a pair of crispi boots thinking of going with the rest river. Im wondering how well they hold up and how many seasons ppl get out of them? i know depends on what kind of hunting, how well you take care of them ect... I'm just curious what other like or dont like about them before I spend alot of money on them. thanks
I just bought a pair of briksdal mtn gtx un insulated back in January and love them. They seemed to be broke in the first day I wore them.

Got the THOR II last year and love them. - minus the insoles. Need to upgrade them.

SonnyDay

WKR
I am on my second pair of Thor II GTX's. Very comfortable, stable, grippy, etc. But still lightweight. My first pair leaked after the 3rd season... but that's about as long as you can expect a Gore-Tex liner to last in my experience. I cleaned and re-sealed that pair and they are still bomber for snow, wet grass, etc. They'll leak if I am standing in a puddle, though. So they are my summer hiker/work boot now.

The second pair is still puddle-strong after 1 season...