Creepy experiences in the backcountry

tony

WKR
I don’t want my little “story” to come across as a religious nut case.
I think it’s one of those you had to see it to understand it type stories.

Pdzoller

WKR
I was up in the Oregon Cascades with two of my cousins during the High Cascade buck season. We were spiked out on a little butte that overlooked a massive burn. We had spent a couple days glassing with nothing to show for our efforts. It was ridiculously hot that year and animals were holding tight until absolute dark.

On the third night I was awakened by wolves howling on the ridge a couple miles away. Mind you, ODFW claims no wolves live in this area at the time. Regardless, I was pretty excited since it was the first time I’d heard them.

I got out of my tent and sat on my little chair where we had been glassing from. It was a beautiful night with the slightest orange haze from distant fires that is typical for this time of year.

I sat admiring the landscape in the moonlight and faint blue of the upcoming dawn. As I sat I noticed a little white light down in a bowl below us. It was odd. The only thing in the bowl was a deep pile of blow downs. I’m talking nearly impassible, extremely dangerous, half burned blow downs. The bowl was maybe a half mile from our camp and fairly visible due to the ambient light.

The little light kept moving around erratically and looked to be floating over the blowdown timber that littered the area. As I watched it moving around I spotted two more little white lights in different areas of the burn and they to looked to be floating around erratically over areas I would deem nearly impossible to traverse in the day, let alone partial darkness.

I watched them slowly bob around until dawn when they disappeared with the arrival of daylight. I was able to glass them with my binoculars but they were literally just little, dim, white floating lights. My only thought about what it could be was maybe fireflies? As I’ve never seen fireflies I definitely don’t have any experience to compare them. Also, supposedly we don’t have fireflies in Oregon but supposedly we didn’t have wolves in the area either…

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
I lived in Talihina and Hodgen for about 6 years as a kid back in the late 70’s/early 80’s, but the only Bigfoot I ever saw was my dad’s boot in my ass when I got out of line. Actually, I take that back, I don’t think I ever saw it coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was born in Talihina in that creepy old Hospital. And man, it's still creepy looking! lol

Cathunt

FNG
I was hunting a private land lease with just a few members in an area that backs up to a major tributary of the Everglades. You do have to watch for gators in the mornings.

I had gotten into my community stand early and was all set up, about 15 minutes before shooting light when I see head lights flying towards me down a cut, I flashed my light at him, which always works but this time it didn't. I flashed on and off probably 12 times and they just kept getting closer.

I'm a little weirded out but I am locked and loaded and have my sidearm the same. Guy in a Subaru flies past me without even touching the brakes. He parks where my truck is and I hear slam slam, trunk slam slam. Crunch crunch crunch and he's walking right up on me.

He's just a brand new newbie with tags still on his camo smells like he just bought his stuff yesterday. Squeaky boots. He comes up on me, I'm pissed but I don't know this guy. He says I'm gonna sit back here behind you a ways. I muster an ok. I never saw him before or since.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
I was up in the Oregon Cascades with two of my cousins during the High Cascade buck season. We were spiked out on a little butte that overlooked a massive burn. We had spent a couple days glassing with nothing to show for our efforts. It was ridiculously hot that year and animals were holding tight until absolute dark.

On the third night I was awakened by wolves howling on the ridge a couple miles away. Mind you, ODFW claims no wolves live in this area at the time. Regardless, I was pretty excited since it was the first time I’d heard them.

I got out of my tent and sat on my little chair where we had been glassing from. It was a beautiful night with the slightest orange haze from distant fires that is typical for this time of year.

I sat admiring the landscape in the moonlight and faint blue of the upcoming dawn. As I sat I noticed a little white light down in a bowl below us. It was odd. The only thing in the bowl was a deep pile of blow downs. I’m talking nearly impassible, extremely dangerous, half burned blow downs. The bowl was maybe a half mile from our camp and fairly visible due to the ambient light.

The little light kept moving around erratically and looked to be floating over the blowdown timber that littered the area. As I watched it moving around I spotted two more little white lights in different areas of the burn and they to looked to be floating around erratically over areas I would deem nearly impossible to traverse in the day, let alone partial darkness.

I watched them slowly bob around until dawn when they disappeared with the arrival of daylight. I was able to glass them with my binoculars but they were literally just little, dim, white floating lights. My only thought about what it could be was maybe fireflies? As I’ve never seen fireflies I definitely don’t have any experience to compare them. Also, supposedly we don’t have fireflies in Oregon but supposedly we didn’t have wolves in the area either…
That doesn`t at all sound like fireflies ( " lightening bugs" in the South. Haven`t seen any in many years unfortunately. ) . St. Elmo`s Fire possibly?

Ddog

WKR
Here's one that my buddy had happen at my deer camp. We were in the process of building it, but sleeping in a camper a few yards away. Had a few beers and I hit the rack, my buddy stayed up to have another one or two sitting in the shack relaxing. About an hour after I crash out, my buddy comes busting into the camper practically yelling at me to wake up and listen to what just happened. He was sitting in a chair against the wall and "something" knocked against the wall from the outside a few times. He explained it sounded like when you knock on someone's door with the back of your knuckles, but hard and loud. Right behind his head. My buddy isn't much of a bullshitter and has like zero imagination so I'm thinking WTH??! He said it had happened about 20 minutes before, but he was afraid to go outside and come get me (no cell service at the time there) until he remembered the scattergun in the loft. Freaked me out and he was visibly shaken.

We had a look the next morning around the property and no tracks, etc in the patchy snow. To be quite honest, I'm not a bigfoot guy, but this was intriguing and I was kinda hoping, ya know? I thought maybe an owl or something had flown into the wall, but he said it was deliberate sounding, not like something flying into the wall.

Not sure what he heard, but I have another weird story I'm not sure I can explain without pic support to show the scene I was looking at. I was alone this time and there was less beer involved, but still a couple or three .Next time I'm up there I'll try to remember to snap a couple and post up.

i have been the creep a couple times while out metal detecting for gold nuggets. The blm i hunted was also a popular biking trail. I was rummaging around in the bushes when two young ladies rode up and stopped for a break ten yards from me. I stayed silent for about five minutes, got to hear some interesting conversation, then i spoke up to make myself be known. they made tracks in a hurry.

i was kayaking in the ocean on a rough day. the fishing sucked, and after three hours without a bump and starting to get sea sick i was just deciding to call it when i saw the perfect silhouette of a white shark passing under me about at the limit of sight. I didnt panic, i just made slow progress to get going the other way. I passed by the only other kayaker out on the water, he was a few hundred yards away. I asked if he had any luck, he said "No, but i saw something in the water". I said I saw it too, im going in.

go_deep

WKR
I think I was the creepy experience in the Backcountry last week. Did a 7 mile loop along a creek that has a bunch of beaver ponds, checking it out for fishing and possibly beaver trapping next winter, one side of the creek is fairly open the otherside is mostly timber and brush. Walked the open side down the mountain and marked spots, crossed the creek and started back up to my truck on the opposite side. In and out of thick patches following a hiking/game trail and I came over a hill and these 2 love birds made a little natural shelter right next to the hiking/game trail on the downhill side out of branches up against a downfall. I was right there and so where they, I just looked straight forward and kept walking, the girl says, hi. I couldn't respond, straight forward and kept walking.

Last edited:
I think I was the creepy experience in the Backcountry last week. Did a 7 mile loop along a creek that has a bunch of beaver ponds, checking it out for fishing and possibly beaver trapping next winter, one side of the creek is fairly open the otherwise is mostly timber and brush. Walked the open side down the mountain and marked spots, crossed the creek and started back up to my truck on the opposite side. In and out of thick patches following a hiking/game trail and I came over a hill and these 2 love birds made a little natural shelter right next to the hiking/game trail on the downhill side out of branches up against a downfall. I was right there and so where they, I just looked straight forward and kept walking, the girl says, hi. I couldn't respond, straight forward and kept walking.

I used to take a short cut to work through a creek bed to get to the road instead of driving around, saved a lot of time when it was passable. It's also popular with dirt bikers cuz of the steep banks. I liked to gun it up the bank. One very early morning ( still dark)I made a quick hop up the bank and when my truck landed at the top there was a tent to my left about ten feet away. I scared the crap out of the guy in the tent.

2ski

WKR
I think I was the creepy experience in the Backcountry last week. Did a 7 mile loop along a creek that has a bunch of beaver ponds, checking it out for fishing and possibly beaver trapping next winter, one side of the creek is fairly open the otherside is mostly timber and brush. Walked the open side down the mountain and marked spots, crossed the creek and started back up to my truck on the opposite side. In and out of thick patches following a hiking/game trail and I came over a hill and these 2 love birds made a little natural shelter right next to the hiking/game trail on the downhill side out of branches up against a downfall. I was right there and so where they, I just looked straight forward and kept walking, the girl says, hi. I couldn't respond, straight forward and kept walking.
You should've said hi. You might have been asked to join.

I get what you mean. I was driving along a gravel road and realized this place where about 15 cars were parked was a hot spring in a side channel of the river. I stopped and looked down, checking it out when my eyes focused on a fully nude girl about 25. She was definitely worth staring at. But I was so shocked I just put my eyes forward and started driving.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved

...I stopped and looked down, checking it out when my eyes focused on a fully nude girl about 25. She was definitely worth staring at. But I was so shocked I just put my eyes forward and started driving.
Haha and that was I thought when I first read this post. :devilish: Demented minds thing alike.

And regarding the above average scenery, that's exactly why I always have my NL 12x42's with me at all times. 😇

Eddie

go_deep

WKR

I get what you mean. I was driving along a gravel road and realized this place where about 15 cars were parked was a hot spring in a side channel of the river. I stopped and looked down, checking it out when my eyes focused on a fully nude girl about 25. She was definitely worth staring at. But I was so shocked I just put my eyes forward and started driving.

I had concerns of an invitation when she said hi. While what I could see of her seemed attractive, she also didn't look much older than my kids and I like being married.

go_deep

WKR
What happens in the backcountry stays in the backcountry. Except giardia...that's comes home with you.

The only beaver I was interested in that day was the big brown ones that make huge mud and stick hutches in the water.

David

FNG
Saw an unexplainable light above our camp elk hunting one time. Couldn't figure out what it was so we left.

Maybe not a creepy experience but a very close call with death. I was about 13 years old fishing Herring Creek just below the reservoir
( Stanislaus county, ca) I was hopping from Boulder to Boulder fishing holes along the way. I jumped onto a flat top boulder about the size of a dining table, it immediately teetered straight up, I slipped off and was standing in three feet of water with the boulder standing vertical, the top of it was above my head. I didn't even have time for a prayer before it flopped back to its original position. Other than a retarded pastor that almost killed me with a pistol, that's the closest I've come to dieing so far.

2ski

WKR
The only beaver I was interested in that day was the big brown ones that make huge mud and stick hutches in the water.
Can you provide GPS coordinates of the location. I feel this situation justifies further...research. yes research.