Creepy experiences in the backcountry

c1steve

FNG
Many years ago, when Mexico was safer than the USA, I hitch hiked and back packed from Cali to Cozumel and back. Took 4 1/2 months, learned Spanish along the way. Stayed in a hotel one night/week to clean up. The other days camped out. Usually I traveled by myself, but sometimes I would go with another backpacker for a week or so.

After 2-3 months I was down in the Yucatan, and traveled with an English guy for a week. He told me about trips through Afghanistan that are as deadly as the stories you may have heard. He said, let's go to Palenque, which was about 6 miles off a paved road. Palenque was a large Maya city when the civilization ended around 800 AD. They did ritual human sacrificing on a regular basis in Palenque.

We after walking much of the way down the dirt road we come to the ruins. This area is 99% covered in Jungle, but one pyramid and a few buildings were uncovered and in very good condition. Like the other tourists who came in buses, we walked all over the open area and read about the Maya in the area. About 4 pm, all six of the tourist buses left, and we had the place to ourselves. We planned on camping off to the side of the dirt parking lot. So, we are standing there, taking in the view of what village that was uncovered, and it got really, really weird.

I could see, like a watermark on a piece of paper, a large group of Mayans that were there. However they were up in the air, maybe 15' off the ground. About five of them were close to us, perhaps 50' away. The main guy has his arms outstretched saying "get out of here, get out of here". I could partly see it, and partly hear it, like a watermark in the background. I stared into the jungle, could so nothing. No leaves were rustling, no birds were flying, the jungle was totally quiet.

I kept staring into this group of semi-visible persons, probably 200 total in the background. Most were just milling around, except for the front ones were were yelling the "get out of here". I said to the English guy, let's camp somewhere else, and he said "Yes!". We walked a quarter mile or so to the west, and camped. No more apparitions bothered us again, but we never spoke a word about it.

It appeared to me that perhaps some of the Mayans willingly sacrificed themselves because they believed in a phony story spun by their religious leaders. Now they were trapped their for eternity, contemplating their life choices. That is the best conclusion I have been able to develop. I am sure that neither of us had any expectations other than having a quiet place to camp after the tourist buses had left, but the experience was fully real.

c1steve

FNG
I went on Google earth, and did a screen shot of the Palenque N.P. area I spoke about. I believe the large building area to the left was still covered by jungle. The circled area shows where I remember the parking lot to be, and the pink X shows where we were standing and looking at the time.

I can see that over the years the park has changed, and they moved the dirt parking somewhere closer to the road.1 Palenque.jpg

def90

WKR
You`re absolutely right, he might have. " Hey bear " was about it for a defensive strategy for Timothy Treadwell, AKA The Grizzly Man ", and his girlfriend, and I guess you could say it worked. Right up until they ran into the wrong bear. Which had added them both to the dinner menu.

An Alaskan brown bear and a Colorado black bear are two totally different creatures.

I'm guessing you've never experienced an in person interaction with either based on your post

I have one more story that was scary for me and kind of funny, Not really creepy but I will share since it was on a hunt.

Northern Arizona, archery deer 20?? "The corral"

I was on a hunt with my Dad. We setup a nice tent camp in a pretty good spot where we saw plenty of animals. We also had many guides stop by regularly looking for intel since we seemed to be in the center of the action.

Earlier in the hunt we ran across some friends from an old archery club who were hunting the same area. They had tagged some bucks and mentioned things were going great other than a couple guys from their camp had been chased by a large black range bull.

I had hunted the area and passed a large bull matching that description while in my truck and four wheeler. The bull I saw had some kind of jaw issue and was grazing solo every time I saw him. He had some pretty big pointy horns and didn't seem aggressive but I never was on foot or got too close to him.

A day or two later I was in camp with my Dad when.young guide stopped by our camp in the early afternoon prior to checking his cameras. This guy was with a very prominent outfitting company and stopped by our camp somewhat regurlarly for a beer or a water. it seemed like he just needed some low stress regular people conversation. We were seeing game but the guide would make comments about specific deer in the area, particularly some weird ones.

He mentioned a nearby water hole had a long curly tined 3x3 hitting it very regularly. I like weird deer and this guide mentioned this buck previously so I wanted to lay eyes on him. I had passed the water hole where the buck was hitting and the guide told me where he thought I should position myself. I decided to hunt the weird buck that night.

I parked my four wheeler and made about a quarter to half mile walk down the road to the water hole which was within 100 yards of the dirt road. It was kind of an odd waterhole. it was medium sized but surrounded by a pretty sturdy corral type fence at the top of a fairly high burn. There was one gate leading into it and a small ground blind built on the backside. The guide told me to sit in the little tree branch debris ground blind.

I setup in the blind which required me to sit very low with my butt practically on the ground. This wasn't a very good position for archery but the sides of the blind were low and the blind was pretty out in the open. The small pond in the middle was pretty full but had I not been told there was a deer hitting it I never would have chosen to sit there. Very marginal looking water hole.

About an hour before dark I heard some noise behind me which was in the opposite direction of the road. i peeked over my shoulder and noticed it was a moo cow. Actually a big bull. He was noisy and my stomach dropped when I saw he was coming in solo. I prayed he wouldn't enter the corral and drink from the pond but he slowly strolled through the gate and started to drink from the pond. It was the bull with a busted up jaw and he made a ton of noise as he drank from the pond.

There was literally a couple finger size sticks and a limp strand of barbed wire between me and the berm surrounding the pond. If the bull meandered and circled the pond while he drank he would practically hit me with his tail. I prayed he wouldn't get any closer and tried to blend into the debris around me as motionless as possible.

The bull slowly circled the pond and made his way directly in front of me, within about 3 feet. As he drank I prayed his swishing tail wouldn't hit my broadhead and knock my arrow off the string. Ayer a couple minutes he raised his head from drinking and made a few short snorts.....oh crap.

He turned around to face me, head down, heavy breathing, pre-matador charge position. I was pretty much nose to nose with him, ready to be stomped to death. Flat footed and screwed, all I could do was sit motionless. After seconds maybe minutes he turned and went back to drinking. I was thankful but still terrified because he wouldn't get more that 5-10 feet away and I was cramping from being a statue for so long.

I heard the sound of a vehicle coming down the road. I hoped the vehicle would bother the bull enough to leave. As the vehicle got closer it slowed to checkout the pond, It was the young guides truck and he slowed down to glass the pond and clearly saw me in the ground blind. I waved my arms in a "please help me" position. He waved back and left the area faster than he drove in.

After another 30 minutes the bull left the corral and slowly worked his way back in the direction where my quad was parked. It was a scary walk back to my quad that night.

I talked to the guide later in the trip and said he thought my arm movements were more "get out of here" than "please help me". I think he may have played a joke on me and got the last laugh. I bet my terror makes for a funny campfire story for his clients. Curly horned three point mule deer...what an idiot I was. I probably had a better chance of seeing Taylor Swift on that pond.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
An Alaskan brown bear and a Colorado black bear are two totally different creatures.

I'm guessing you've never experienced an in person interaction with either based on your post
I would agree that they are two different animals. The poster to which I and some others were responding didn`t specify, I don`t believe, the type of bear with which they were confronted. The comment I made and to which you refer was in reference to the whole notion of the advisability of carrying protection ( firearm ) when in such areas . And no, I`ve never been face to muzzle with either an Alaskan brown bear or Colorado black bear. Thank goodness.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
About 35 years ago I was fishing off the rocks before sunrise with my father and uncle. They were facing south and I was facing north east when I saw a distant, extremely bright white meteor fall straight toward the horizon. Before I could get any words out, it exploded with a blinding light flash and without any sound. Both my father and uncle saw everything to the south as if it were noon for second or so.
I had a similar experience to this working night shift in Jacksonville a few years back.

We were patching drainage structure on the side of the road and all of the sudden the box and pipes had a slight blue glow going on around 2 AM Jumped above ground and saw a meteor/comet that was just massive, certainly bigger than the moon glowing blue as it passed by. Street wasn’t lit up like noon, but maybe similar to first light.

Awesome experience to see and some crazy colors for the next minute or two until everything faded back to darkness.

def90

WKR
I would agree that they are two different animals. The poster to which I and some others were responding didn`t specify, I don`t believe, the type of bear with which they were confronted. The comment I made and to which you refer was in reference to the whole notion of the advisability of carrying protection ( firearm ) when in such areas . And no, I`ve never been face to muzzle with either an Alaskan brown bear or Colorado black bear. Thank goodness.

He said he was hunting Northern Colorado in his story. There isn’t a bear that I’ve seen in Colorado that didn’t run in the opposite direction as fast as it could once it realized that a person was near by.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
He said he was hunting Northern Colorado in his story. There isn’t a bear that I’ve seen in Colorado that didn’t run in the opposite direction as fast as it could once it realized that a person was near by.
Well.... I guess that`s good! Might well apply to 99 out of 100 Colorado bears. With my luck I`d meet up with #100!

def90

WKR
Well.... I guess that`s good! Might well apply to 99 out of 100 Colorado bears. With my luck I`d meet up with #100!

Three years ago opening day of archery elk season I stopped to take a lunch break at treeline on a mountainside that looked over an open meadow area that ran downhill a bit. I was sitting with my back to a clump of trees and bushes and decided to lay back and take a nap. Was having one of those lucid dreams and woke up. I kind of groggily looked over to my right and saw something sitting about 10 feet away that wasn't there before I fell asleep. I sat up and as I realized what it was it also realized what I was. It spun around and side hilled the 150yds of open meadow faster than I could get my phone camera out. Anyway it was a black bear. As it ran away the sun glistened off the tips of it's coat and made it look silver as it ran. That was one of the closer interactions. Either way they always end up the same. I do carry while bow hunting but I do it because of the 2 legged creatures out in the woods, not the 4 legged ones.

Jimbee

WKR
I threw rocks and yelled at this Colorado bear, he wouldn't go. He was between myself and my destination. Screenshot_20240303_140938_Gallery.jpgI walked way around him.

c1steve

FNG
Once I was on a two week backpack trip on the John Muir Trail, in the California Sierras. This is in National Forest. At night we put any food in our packs, and pulled them way up in the air on a rope of a branch. Occasionally we would see bears, but there was no food for them so they left us alone.

The trip ended in Yosemite, and the last two days we were in the park itself. First night in the park we camped in Tuolumne Meadows. Beautiful place, but as we were close to the end there were a few other persons around. Woke up in the middle of the night, with my right hand, stomach, and left foot hurting. As I looked out over the meadow past my feet, I saw a bear cub running off that had walked on top of me. The bear was probably 125 lbs. or so, and was probably more scared than I was.

Spoke to a friend in the morning, and he mentioned that he saw the mother bear, and it measured 14" from nose to back of the head. So, it was pretty big for a black bear.

I have told others about this experience from time to time. Some people are amused, some are shocked, and some do not believe it. European women visiting North America are often in awe of the story. One day I related my experience to a woman, and she was not impressed.

This woman explained that her mother was camping in the same area, Tuolumne Meadows, and also had a bear experience. The weather was warm, probably 80 degrees during the day, and her boots became fairly sweaty after the day of hiking with a pack. When she went to sleep, she undid the lower slide of the sleeping bag zipper and left her feet out to dry off. This is commonly done when it is warm, to keep the bag cleaner and drier.

Her mom woke up after a while because a bear was licking the salt off of her toes!. She did not move, she stayed motionless until the bear finished and left.

def90

WKR
Yeah, the bears in Yosemite are pretty habituated to people and their food. There are certain bear bags and canisters that aren't allowed in Yosemite because the bears in certain areas of the park have learned how to open them.

I experienced the same thing, but during a snow storm on the ridge in NW NJ. Luckily the next day the paper ran an article on the rare "thunder snow storm" we had. But there was no thunder.....just the entire woods lighting up for what seemed like 30 seconds at a time.
Where about in North West NJ were you? I grew up banging around in the woods there. It's more treacherous country then people give credit too and I've experienced a few weird things there as well growing up.

Dougsch28

FNG
Where about in North West NJ were you? I grew up banging around in the woods there. It's more treacherous country then people give credit too and I've experienced a few weird things there as well growing up.
100%. This happened in the Delaware Water Gap, Whorthington State Park, just North of Blairstown. Still here today. People don't realize the amount of open space we have in NJ, the amount of wildlife or the ridge that runs the Northern line. 75K acres of huntable land in DEWA alone (we are in a battle to keep it from being a national park atm). It's certainly not Montana, but I have some stands 3 miles and 1,200 feet of incline from the nearest road. We pack our deer like Elk and go days without seeing another hunter. Assume you are talking about the same area?

Crusader

WKR
Any ideas on what it is? I still haven't figured it out. I've heard possible reflection from a satellite?
I had a similar experience in November of 2020, and posted it in this thread. Here's the post:

This isn't all that creepy, but more like weird and certainly, unexplainable, at least to me. Kinda follows Brancher's post above about a light.

This was just last week Wednesday during deer season at my farm in NE Missouri. It was around 5:30am, it was a super clear, cloudless sky with virtually no moon, just tons of stars. We had just pulled into a pasture area off an unlit gravel road a quarter mile or so from the ground blind we were going to hunt out of. We were at the back of my SUV with the hatchback closed, no lights on, and we were gathering our gear getting ready to start walking. All of a sudden there was this instant, gigantic flash of light right on us and around us, maybe literally only a fraction of a second in duration. It wasn't lightning, wasn't on the horizon or anything, just right ON us. As if an enormous camera flash was triggered on us. I'm not sure I've ever seen a light as bright and as quickly on and off as that was. We both looked at each other and said what the heck was that? Neither of us had or has any idea what that was. But I'm glad my buddy was there as a witness because I don't think anyone would believe it if I told them about it.

Any thoughts on what that could have been?
A few weeks later a fellow Missouri hunter sent me a PM and said he experienced the same thing I did that morning, in a different part of Missouri. He did some research and discovered what it was, a fireball exploding, so bright that the split-second event was observed in multiple states. Here's a link to an article about it, on a site that tracks/records these things:

You might go to that site to see if anything was documented which might explain your experience.

So not really backcountry.

I hunt a small parcel of land in N.C. it’s kind of in the middle of nowhere but you can drive to it. I have a small dry cabin on the land.

The parcel I hunt has the ashes of two people scattered on it. They hunted the land religiously in the 80s and 90s before they passed.

More than once I’ve been awakened in the night by sounds of people “talking.”

I spend a lot of time hiking and camping, the wind and trees can make weird sounds. I’ve never heard them make the sounds I hear when I sleep in that little cabin.

Nothing sinister. Just conversations. And occasionally I hear something that makes me think twice about where I will hunt the next day.

For the record, it’s paid off.

100%. This happened in the Delaware Water Gap, Whorthington State Park, just North of Blairstown. Still here today. People don't realize the amount of open space we have in NJ, the amount of wildlife or the ridge that runs the Northern line. 75K acres of huntable land in DEWA alone (we are in a battle to keep it from being a national park atm). It's certainly not Montana, but I have some stands 3 miles and 1,200 feet of incline from the nearest road. We pack our deer like Elk and go days without seeing another hunter. Assume you are talking about the same area?
Yes sir. Blairstown born and raised. Im on the west coast now but my parents still live in Frelinghuysen on a good piece of land I grew up white tail hunting.

One time when I was like 12 or 13 I got staked by cyotes out of a swamp on my way out of my stand back to my dad's truck. I was so scared I beat my dad back to the truck and curled up in the bed of his truck hiding.

That area is also rich in native american and revolutionary War history and grew up on property and a house with some really weird shit happening in it. We used to see figures walking in our fields sometimes during a full moon. We had plenty of stuff in our hose too.

That area is so under-rated for hunting and fishing.

jonandy

FNG
yeah....
IMG_0348.jpeg
Nice trailside, love the grips!