Crazy Mountains in October

Just wanting to know if it’s a bad idea to be hunting for goats October 18-27th? Unfortunately I’ve started a new job and going through an apprenticeship and this is the only big window I have to hunt the goat tag. I may get a couple weekends in at the end of September and would like to fill the tag then. I am really worried about being snowed out or possibly being stuck up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yeah for sure, but hair could be really good!

If it does hit, hopefully it’s enough to push them down a bit. Obviously the higher slope access gets limited. Seems like we always get a later warmup, hopefully you catch a good window.

ianpadron

WKR
Crap shoot for sure. Looking at historic weather patterns for the state, seems every year immediately following an El Niño cycle is an all-time snow year. Given the storm we got last week (dumped almost a foot in GNP), we might be in for a doozie of a year

Jon Boy

WKR
You could get whacked by a doozie then. But, I’ll say generally, the snow will melt off a week or two after the first big storm. It will look like the Klondike for a week and everyone will leave and the snow recedes… it could also be beautiful and nothing to worry about. There’s plenty of ‘easy’ places to get to in that range that holds goats though. I shouldny say easy, more like doable.