Cranes

I have a crane hunt next weekend. My buddy and I decided to go guided. It's all around private and working on closing on a house has eaten any time I'd have to scout.

I've been hearing all sorts of different things on killing them. I bought a couple boxes of 2 3/4 #2 hevi shot steel, but have been told all sorts of different shot size to use.

I figure I'll buy a box or two of BB for it too, but curious what everyone else has used? I've never messed with bird hunting before this, so it's been a crash course on shotgun stuff the last few months.

KurtR

WKR
I have a crane hunt next weekend. My buddy and I decided to go guided. It's all around private and working on closing on a house has eaten any time I'd have to scout.

I've been hearing all sorts of different things on killing them. I bought a couple boxes of 2 3/4 #2 hevi shot steel, but have been told all sorts of different shot size to use.

I figure I'll buy a box or two of BB for it too, but curious what everyone else has used? I've never messed with bird hunting before this, so it's been a crash course on shotgun stuff the last few months.
If you are shooting over decoys the 2 shot will be fine.

Fowl Play

WKR
If you’re going guided. Call your guide and see what he recommends based on how you will be hunting. I shoot 3” number 2’s out of a modified choke for just about all my waterfowl hunting.

The main advice I would have is to pull through and fire when you pass their nose. It is very hard to train your brain to aim for the little thing at the front rather than the big blob (their body). But bigger birds can soak up body shots very well. A head/neck shot is what you want. We also tend to visualize a shotgun spread as a 2D circle flying through the sky. But it is really a long cylinder. So even if you shoot in front of them a good bit, there is a good chance they will fly into the back end of the cylinder. It is better to shoot in front then body/behind them.

I shot my first one in October with a 3" #1 at a range of "not very close."

It crumpled him but he caught another when he squared up to me on the retrieve.

VernAK

WKR
In my average season, I usually bag about 40 cranes and had one season at 70. I use mostly #2 steel at 1550 fps. At first I thought I needed very large shot like T but soon realized that penetrating the breast was not the goal. A smaller shot that can break any wing or neck bone brings them out of the sky. A friend shoots #6 TSS or some such at $80/box. A few years ago, I found a sale on Federal $2 steel at $100/case and bought ten cases so I'm done for this lifetime.

I love the high overhead, pass shooting shots as they have so much wing and neck exposed.

Good luck on your hunt. Crane hunting can be fun.

Titan

WKR
These guys are correct. #2 are fine. I did see some shells the other day that use both BB and #2s. Haven’t tried them though.

The distance can be deceiving because they are so large. You probably need to lead more than you initially think if they are moving.

They remind me of those old aluminum lawn chairs falling out of the sky.

Laramie

WKR
Enjoy eating them. They have been called ribeye in the sky for a long as I can remember. Very good to eat.

#2-BB steel is great for decoying birds.

dtrkyman

WKR
Good luck, I didn't draw. I have not hunted cranes yet but I generally prefer smaller shot than most guys, I shoot birds close and your chance of hitting the head and neck is drastically better with smaller shot!

I goose hunted with a crew and they all shot T, cripples galore, I shot 2s and even 4s, 4s were the first round only and inside 30 yards they worked wonders on head shots!

I’ve shot them with 3” #2s and 3” BBB. They take a couple 2s or a brain hit to shut them down. The BBB or BB are preferred atleast in Montana, maybe heavier feathered. #2s are my all around for ducks, geese, and swans though. Kent fasteel usually.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
Thanks guys. Going out today to shoot clay with BB and #2 and feel a little more confident going into it.

dtrkyman

WKR
I noticed some more Cranes migrating the other day when i was duck hunting, the first day basically none the second day they were coming pretty steady, I get shots at them often and of course don't have a "tag".

VernAK

WKR

Send me your iphone number and I'll send you my brief tutorial on crane hunting. :)