Cow tag with 5 points?

Jd259

WKR
Hey guys so I’ve got 5 elk points in co and would like to burn them next year on a cow tag and take my 6 year old son with me just to show him a good experience where we would have a good chance at being successful and fill the freezer for the year. I’ve been looking at the draw reports from this year and most of the A tags are EFXXXW2R etc…. What does the W indicate in that hunt code? Are they private land tags? My main goal is to hunt a draw unit where there won’t be a lot of pressure and I know 5 points is a lot to burn on a cow tag but it’s more for the experience for my son than it is for me. PM’s welcome
Thanks guys!

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
What method of take? I'd go archery or ML. In fact, you can get OTC archery cow tags.
I’m not much of an archery hunter and I would want to bring my 6 year old along for my learning experience lol I was leaning more towards a rifle hunt in a mainly draw unit, 61 came to mind as it’s draw all the way around and a good one at that so the pressure would be pretty low I would think and the chance of connecting with a clue would be pretty good if we put in some work.

Really any unit that takes 5 pp for a cow probably has a pretty high success rate. Look at the harvest stats from last year, find 15 units with high cow harvest success rates for whatever weapon you want to hunt with (obviously rifle>ml>archery as far as your best chance of converting opportunities into meat in the freezer), then look at how many points they drew out at with 100% draw at 5 points. This will probably take you down to 5-7 units. Look at the terrain and DOW descriptions of the units and decide what type of hunt you want (truck, backpack, etc.) I would avoid units with large amounts of private land, as many of the cow harvest stats skew high on these units from PL take by landowners. 61 1st season would be a good choice if that's the way you are leaning.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Thanks for the input guys we’ll probably do a wall tent camp and cruise around on the quad or SxS then hike from there whatever he’s capable of I took him last year to unit 12 3rd and we saw elk and could have killed if I was alone but he just couldn’t cover the country required and the pressure was insane but he still had a blast so I figure if I get in a less pressured unit with better elk numbers and we can connect on a cow he’ll be hooked for life… atleast that’s the goal!

ahlgringo

WKR
Good on ya Brother- sounds like a fantastic idea. If you end up drawing a 61 tag feel free to pm me and I can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Good on ya Brother- sounds like a fantastic idea. If you end up drawing a 61 tag feel free to pm me and I can point you in the right direction.

Thank you sir I will definitely reach out if that’s the route we end up going, my other thought with 61 was hopefully we could find some bulls to show him,we saw some on private last year and he thought that was the coolest thing ever.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
That is correct, also with LO tags- you do not use your points.
Where would a guy find a list of land owner tags in a good unit to kill a cow? What does a LO tag run for a cow? I don’t really want to shell out 2k or more to kill a cow…

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Just a quick search I found unit 61 cow tags 3rd rifle for $950 but it says you need to purchase a license on top of that? Does that mean you have to purchase an elk tag from fish and game or atleast pay the cost of one to them so it would come out to like1700?

CoHiCntry

WKR
Yes, you have to pay for the license from the CPW on top of the tag from the landowner. I'm not sure if you have to pay the non resident price? Probably do.

fmyth

WKR
Yeah, those would be landowner tags though & not ranching for wildlife tags.
Yes but it's my understanding that those tags would come with access to their ranch even though it is in the RFW program. To my knowledge this is the only way a non resident will ever get to hunt on a RFW ranch.

ahlgringo

WKR
And yes, that is for the voucher that you then trade in for a tag that you must purchase (res or non res price of tag) depending on your residency. So… your figuring is about correct 1500 ish for a NR. 1st season tags would be more. 61 cow tags are 2-4 pt tags, and all except the 5th season private only, are all A list tags.