Cow Elk Options

lif

WKR
Curious if anyone has any decent options for a late season cow hunt. I’m primarily a deer hunter, and with two growing kids I don’t seem to be able to kill enough bucks to keep the freezer full for the year, even with the kids hunting now as well. My deer hunting keeps me busy from September through mid November. So would have to be late November -December. Also August is a possibility. Appreciate any insight. Pm if you prefer. Just looking for some meat.

Gbfan

FNG
Since you didn't mention a specific state, look into the UT antlerless elk hunts. Deadline is this month. Gotta be some late hunts that can be drawn fairly easy...

Reactions: lif
OP
L

lif

WKR
Since you didn't mention a specific state, look into the UT antlerless elk hunts. Deadline is this month. Gotta be some late hunts that can be drawn fairly easy...
Thanks. Yah don’t have a specific state. Would travel wherever if it makes sense. I get a pretty good adventure experience out of most of my deer hunts, so the cow hunt is a hunt I am just concerned about the meat. Thanks for feed back. Hadn’t considered Utah yet.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Yah don’t have a specific state. Would travel wherever if it makes sense. I get a pretty good adventure experience out of most of my deer hunts, so the cow hunt is a hunt I am just concerned about the meat. Thanks for feed back. Hadn’t considered Utah yet.
Review the draw odds. For antlerless permits it's a true preference system those with the most points get the tags no 50/50 draw split. Usually takes a couple points to draw as a resident not sure on non resident odds

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
L

lif

WKR
Review the draw odds. For antlerless permits it's a true preference system those with the most points get the tags no 50/50 draw split. Usually takes a couple points to draw as a resident not sure on non resident odds

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
so if I understand it correctly, cow tags take the usage of your limited entry elk points?

sneaky

"DADDY"
so if I understand it correctly, cow tags take the usage of your limited entry elk points?
No. Separate point pool for antlerless draws.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Idaho has some units with August antlerless hunts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

robloft

FNG
There are some cow tags you can buy otc in montana. They only sell a limited number and they do sell out but some were available through August last year. Some units do have shoulder seasons which are early or late seasons for cows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lif