Cow decoy worth it for a solo hunter?

Jens22

FNG
Doing my first solo archery elk hunt, high pressure unit. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a cow decoy or not. $100 seems steep when there are so many other upgrades id like to make. Also open to tips and tactics if you do recommend the decoy. Let me hear those solo calling success stories if you got em🤙

Thanks

#NewMexicoLocal

Bachto

WKR
if you are hunting solo I 1000% recommend. Place the decoy about 20 to 30 yards behind you when possible to set-up and call. If an elk comes into an area after you called him in and doesn't see an elk where they should be, they get nervous and will hang up, a decoy helps with this a lot and will also give them something to focus on. Especially in open country, good luck!

OP
J

Jens22

FNG
if you are hunting solo I 1000% recommend. Place the decoy about 20 to 30 yards behind you when possible to set-up and call. If an elk comes into an area after you called him in and doesn't see an elk where they should be, they get nervous and will hang up, a decoy helps with this a lot and will also give them something to focus on. Especially in open country, good luck!
Thanks I appreciate that, do you recommend the head or rear end decoy? We've used more than one?

Bachto

WKR
I just used the classic full body Montana elk decoy. I don't think it matters too much as long as they have something to look at. more than one wouldn't hurt but I also don't think it would help and it would be a lot to set up by yourself.

OP
J

Jens22

FNG
I just used the classic full body Montana elk decoy. I don't think it matters too much as long as they have something to look at. more than one wouldn't hurt but I also don't think it would help and it would be a lot to set up by yourself.
Appreciate you👍

I have been debating this idea for a bit as well, and I think it is worth it.. It is a tool that can fold up and pack away. If it is an archery hunt the plan is to get them close, why not stack the deck in your favor. It is an additional 2.5 pounds of gear, but you could drop the included poles and use paracord to lose some ounces. I will be buying one here soon.

OP
J

Jens22

FNG
I have been debating this idea for a bit as well, and I think it is worth it.. It is a tool that can fold up and pack away. If it is an archery hunt the plan is to get them close, why not stack the deck in your favor. It is an additional 2.5 pounds of gear, but you could drop the included poles and use paracord to lose some ounces. I will be buying one here soon.
Right on man, good luck out there🤙

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I still use my old Renzo cow elk decoy. Hunt solo for elk probably 90% of the time. Have taken elk with bow, muzzleloader, and rifle hunting timber and can without a doubt sat the decoy has helped big time.

Like others suggest, be careful.

I shot a bull solo last year by calling him in. I've used decoys before for Pronghorn and IMO there's better things to spend your money on. Instead focus on calling and moving. Like literally sprinting. If they're vocal you'll know one is coming in. Don't be where you called from when you're setting up for a shot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm always moving too much to try and use decoys behind me. They'd get left behind. I would think they'd be a better option with another guy that hangs onto it behind you. Then you don't have to worry about it at all.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve used decoys for archery elk hunting.

I think you should give it a try. Then come back here and tell everyone why you shouldn’t. ;)

They work just like every other type of decoy. Sometimes.

Best of luck.

OP
J

Jens22

FNG
I'm always moving too much to try and use decoys behind me. They'd get left behind. I would think they'd be a better option with another guy that hangs onto it behind you. Then you don't have to worry about it at all.
I could see this being a problem 🤣 thanks for advice

bigjohn2

FNG
I have wrestled with this question For 16 years consecutively. Take a decoy don’t take a decoy. Our first season out we had a decoy with us and Archery killed a bull without the decoy.
We were moving, headed for the truck when opportunity arrived. Set up was fast no decoy was used. Success was had.

I think my big hangup for me is that I love to hunt thick cover black timber only pretty much. For several years now. I’m always concerned that When Elk come in that the decoy may spook them because they will be so close when they notice the decoy. Any thoughts?

tntrker

WKR
I bought a Ultimate Predator cow head decoy for my 1st archery hunt. I'll try it both ways, attached to the bow or maybe behind me...we'll see but seemed like a great tool to hide some or my movement and ease their nerves some...

Slugz

WKR
If you go the Montana route take off the stakes and loop paracord from ass to to head. Its a quicker set up as you can just hang it on a low limb, bush, etc. Hanging it also creates movement if you have some wind.
Lastly call back to the decoy. Throw that sound to it so the animal is trying to locate the sound and gets a visual.

We use the butt only feeding one.

Lastly as CNELk said, gotta put it where the elk can see it and complimentary to the expected shooting lane.