County Fair Exhibitors

So I’m sitting here at the local county fair with my wife and her dairy show cows and I was wondering how many of you guy/gals that are here on Rokslide also spend a week at your local fairs if you do. Anyone on here also show animals or maybe sell goods at a stand or anything? Let’s hear about it!

a6e0ce1e84ee76c329c0ad44b4c1888f.jpg

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Use to sell goods many years ago as a kid. Got paid very well for my age. For the $$ back then, I didn't mind working 12-16hr days. Spent many hours roaming the "barns" hanging out with friends showing their animals as well. Good times for sure!

My youngest has won $68 showing a dog for my mother. Myself, wouldn’t hurt my feelings if I never went back but I did go Saturday, and enjoyed it.

My brother and I grew up selling sweet corn, the sweet corn funded my pigs for the county fair, we also reluctantly showed horses at the county fair to appease my mom. Only thing to stick after high school was the horse showing surprisingly, we are very active in the rope horse futurities.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I did the 4-h thing back in the day. Only bone I’ve ever broken was when my effing steer kicked me in the back while trying to halter break, cracked a rib. I was quite confident I was going to die when I was rolling around in the mud trying to breath. I told my dad I was done for the year and that steer ended up becoming thanksgiving prime rib. I still haven’t forgiven that steer, he was a prick before that too.

Our county fair was at teh end of July. Every year I wonder what governing body does food safety and ride safety checks. I've seen some improper sized hardware holding some of their rides together

OP
S
I did the 4-h thing back in the day. Only bone I’ve ever broken was when my effing steer kicked me in the back while trying to halter break, cracked a rib. I was quite confident I was going to die when I was rolling around in the mud trying to breath. I told my dad I was done for the year and that steer ended up becoming thanksgiving prime rib. I still haven’t forgiven that steer, he was a prick before that too.

Wow that’s crazy. We just had a beefer yesterday go crazy and drag a family friend through the barn and get loose. She got up in between some dairy cows and when he went to get her she spooked again and things got western. We had to double halter her and we put her back on the trailer and sent her home.

I then turned to my wife and said “remember what I said earlier about getting beef cows? I think I change my mind…” lol

Ucsdryder

WKR
Wow that’s crazy. We just had a beefer yesterday go crazy and drag a family friend through the barn and get loose. She got up in between some dairy cows and when he went to get her she spooked again and things got western. We had to double halter her and we put her back on the trailer and sent her home.

I then turned to my wife and said “remember what I said earlier about getting beef cows? I think I change my mind…” lol
If you do get beef cattle, go Hereford, I know everyone likes the black ones but 99% of them have a screw loose.

I used to show 4-H Hogs. The last year I showed, I think I was a junior in HS. By that time girls and small town mischief got in the way of training my pig. Show day rolled around and I had a wild hog straight out of the bayou! She ended up attacking the other contestants pigs. They booted me out of the arena, but had pity enough to let me put her in the sale the next morning. After I balanced my books, it would seem my parents subsidized a lot of my 4-H projects

280Ackley

WKR
I am proud father of the grand champion chicken shower!! Our boys also did hogs for 5-6 years. At one point we had 4 sows at our place bred for show pigs. Now we are lame and live in the city!

grfox92

WKR
Our county fair was at teh end of July. Every year I wonder what governing body does food safety and ride safety checks. I've seen some improper sized hardware holding some of their rides together
We don't let our kids on the carnival rides anymore. Too many horror stories and videos to prove it.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I was in 4H 50 years ago and showed and raced my horses at the county fair. Won many trips to the State Fair.

I even entered clothing I sewed.

Lifelong lessons for sure.

Good memories

My best friend showed cows growing up. That was a good excuse for me to camp with them at the fair all week and chase all the county's farmers daughters.

Never showed anything but my 17 year old brain thought it would be a good idea to enter into the diesel pulls with my P.OS. 1996 cummins with 300k plus miles on it. Sent a u joint on my drive shift into orbit and had to hitch rides to football practice and school for 2 months until I could fix it. Good times.

grfox92

WKR
I attend the county fair every year. The animals are our favorite part. I will be making a thread in the near future looking for input from Wyoming and Montana Rokaliders about Fairs, and big events in those 2 states to organize my 2025 Food Truck schedule. We will focus on big events like Fairs, and Rodeos.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk