CostCo Igloo Maxcold 165qt Cooler

Pretty good cooler for the price. Picked one up last year but I don’t have the dual hatches or dividers. Worked well this past spring from ID to NJ.

I keep thinking the top access would be great for quick access, but wonder if it’s as insulated as a solid lid? Anyone got experience they can share?
Thanks

I have put off getting one of these igloo coolers for far too long, finally got one. Excited to try it out this fall after reading all the reviews for years!

I keep thinking the top access would be great for quick access, but wonder if it’s as insulated as a solid lid? Anyone got experience they can share?
Thanks
I’m currently running a test on mine to see how well it keeps ice. I precooled it with a couple blue ice blocks. Then 6 hours later, I loaded 12 frozen 1 gallon water jugs in it. I have kept it in my truck cap with a wool blanket and a sleeping bag over the ice chest, which is how I will use it in September (minus I’ll have a tarp and towels in there on my actual hunt to take up the dead space).

Temperatures have been about 70° at night and the highs have been between 86°-91°. Today is day 6 and the jugs still have ice left in them. I do get a bit of condensation at the hinge of the quick accesses, so there definitely is some air leaking out. I need to find a way to seal that, either duct tape or maybe silicone it in good.

Overall, pretty damn happy with it for $99!

Update: Day 7 and still have a softball size chunk of ice in the jugs, so I’d say at least one more day of ice. Good enough for me and I need the room in the back of my truck so calling the test complete.

Last edited:
Back