Coopers New Model 92 Backcountry

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It had arrived and new sighted in for Kodiak deer hunt here in less than 10 days!!

Eagle

WKR
I feel like I'm making some progress now. I called Cooper again yesterday and they asked me to check the action screws to make sure they didn't loosen up since it is such a light rifle. They were loose and I tightened them as they recommended.

I believe that might have been the culprit as I shot a group at .314" at 100 yards today!!! Yippee! Now I feel like I'm ready for my elk hunt in 13 days.

Oh and it looks like the picture is rotated here in the attachment...the grouping is actually at 12 o'clock and an inch high of where I was aiming...not that that matters for groupings it was just bothering me when I looked at it here!! :)

View attachment 38987

Glad you got it figured out! Coopers are awesome rifles.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Looks great luke. Would love to see a review on that razor lh as well if you get a chance..

There will be a separate review on the scope itself. Though the scope will be mentioned in the rifle review and the rifle will be mentioned in the scope review as well. ;)

Blizzy

FNG
Hoping to receive my model 92 here soon and was wanting to get scope/bases/and rings on order. Going to put a swarvoski z3 3-10x42 or possibly another brand 42mm objective on it. Which bases and rings would you guys recommend? Talley?Warne? And what height, low/med/or high?

choovhntr

WKR
A lot depends on the style you want to go with and if you want steel or aluminum. Seems like a lot of guys are going with the talley lightweight. Mine came with warne bases and I wanted a tactical style ring but in aluminum. My options were limited in this and I went with tps htr rings. Warne has some new ones coming out any day now called the mountain techs. Very nice looking rings but I couldn't wait any longer for their release. With your lightweight scope the best bang for buck and the lightest will probably be talley. Lows would probably work fine with that's scope and the coopers barrel contour.

Blizzy

FNG
Nice Pldawg!! Where did your best loads end up? Should have mine in 280ai shortly.

pldawg

FNG
Nice Pldawg!! Where did your best loads end up? Should have mine in 280ai shortly.

I had two loads worked up...the 140 grain game king with 59.5 grains of Reloader 22 at 3.285 OAL shot a group at .314" with a muzzle velocity approximately 3100fps.

The other load was 162 grain ELD-X with 58 grains of Reloader 19 at 3.335 OAL shot with a muzzle velocity just under 3000fps. The groups weren't as tight but I took both loads with me.

The point of impact was very similar with both loads out to 200(as far as I went at the range before going hunting.)

Ultimately I ended up shooting the 140 grain Game King as I felt most confident in the load. But I feel like I can start over with load development now that my action screws are tight and I'm getting good consistency. I spent a lot of time at the range and well over 300 rounds downrange with the action screws loose this summer. I count it as a great time to familiarize myself with the rifle. I wouldn't have spent that much time shooting if it wasn't for that and I look forward to shooting it even more!

For me, it is exactly what I was hoping for, a very versatile rifle and cartridge that is both easy to carry and felt recoil is very manageable. I don't think anyone can argue the effectiveness of a 300 for any North American big game but I honestly don't like standing behind them and I wanted something that I could enjoy shooting.

garyw

FNG
I got my cooper m92 in 7mm rm last week but haven't had a chance to shoot it. has anyone shot their m92 in 7mm rm? if so what loads worked best?. thanks

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Due to timing my buddy has actually shot the Cooper far more than me. He sighted it in for me due to lack of time for me to do it since it got to my Ffl while I was at work and Becca had to sign for it. Anyways my only 3 shots with it have resulted in 3 dead deer so thus far the rifle is proving to do what it was designed to do and that is kill critters :). Just need to shoot it at something besides deer to see how it shoots. :)

Last edited:

pldawg

FNG
Due to timing my buddy has actually shot the Cooper far more than me. He sighted it in for me due to lack of time for me to do it since it got to my Ffl while I was at work and Becca had to sign for it. Anyways my only 3 shots with it have resulted in 3 dead deer so thus far the rifle is proving to do what it was designed to do and that is kill critters :). Just need to shoot it at something besides deer to see how it shoots. :)

Awesome...congrats on the harvests and sounds like a keeper for sure!

Whisky

WKR
They are going for $2800 @ Scheels I think

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Recoil on the rifle is no problem in 300wm. The brake does its job. I'm struggling to find a load I am completely happy with so if some one has a "recipe" built up I'm all ears. I've got some 168gr TSX loads ready to try next. Really want to get a heavier load worked up. Ideally the 212gr Hornaday ELD-X.

Captcohen

FNG
I have a M92 7mm rem mag and have been trying to get it set up for the last 2 months...... the accuracy is pretty bad...

received the riffle... was getting light primer strikes
sent the bolt back to cooper... they fixed the bolt
Then it was having ejection problems...and accuracy was poor... sent them the gun they found burrs on the crown..... polished it and fixed the ejection problem.. and sent it back to me...

Here is a list of the factory loads that I have tired: All test were done indoors at 100 yards prone with a bipod and a rear bag.

Fed deer thugs 160g power-shok 1 MOA
HSM trophy gold 168g berger VLD 5MOA
Hornady 139 GMX 2moa
Nosler 150g E-tip 1.5MOA
Fed 150 trophy copper 2MOA

I have some hornady ELD-x 162g and Fed 165 Sierra game king on order to test but I leave next week for my Elk hunt....

I was really hoping that it would like the HSM 168g Berger VLDs.. I have done really well with those out of my other rifle.

I have had friends that are very experienced shooter, shoot the gun and are getting the same results.

suggestions welcome.

Capt,

Did you ask cooper what factory ammo they would recommend? Hard to believe that HSM ammo was shooting 5 inch groups... I have been shooting the HSM trophy 180 vlds in my 7mm and they group very very good and consistent in the 80 rounds I have fired. The smith who built my gun said to shoot those if I wasn't reloading.