Cooler size for black bear

samuela

FNG
What size cooler do you use for black bear meat or meat + hide?

Also how big are black bears in your area, and do you bone out the meat?

deer310sg

Lil-Rokslider
We take a homemade plywood foam insulated cooler probably 200 qt.
And a couple 120 qt for hides. Between 3 of us making the trip. Manitoba, Sask. 175- 400 lbs

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’m taking a 105, 65 and 35 to Saskatchewan in May. Don’t figure I’ll need all that, but they ride nice in the truck.

OP
samuela

samuela

FNG
Seems people are bringing larger coolers than I expected. Anybody run something smaller?

Mikey_B79

FNG
A lot depends if you are going to strip the carcass out fully including rib meat or not. I know more than a few guys who take the quarters and leave the rest.

I definitely recommend keeping as much as you can if you have the means to do smoked sausage - the rib meat is *extraordinary* when mixed with a bit of bacon and ground and seasoned with even just salt and pepper. Smoke until 170 and my word. Or brown then braise the ribs until they are fall apart tender in a red wine reduction. Next level.

I have used a 66 and two 50s before, but it's usually cold enough here in Manitoba to keep for a while with just a few bags of ice to bring the temps down.

OP
samuela

samuela

FNG
A lot depends if you are going to strip the carcass out fully including rib meat or not. I know more than a few guys who take the quarters and leave the rest.

I definitely recommend keeping as much as you can if you have the means to do smoked sausage - the rib meat is *extraordinary* when mixed with a bit of bacon and ground and seasoned with even just salt and pepper. Smoke until 170 and my word. Or brown then braise the ribs until they are fall apart tender in a red wine reduction. Next level.

I have used a 66 and two 50s before, but it's usually cold enough here in Manitoba to keep for a while with just a few bags of ice to bring the temps down.
Great info, thanks!

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Coleman 120. In GA they are 150ish average. If you have to pack out a bear then it will definitely fit in a 120.