Convince me Against a Timberline 1

NorthEast

FNG
Hi All, I am looking for my backpack for 7-ish day backcountry archery elk hunt. I am pretty sold on the timberline 1. This will also be my primary summer backpacking bag for New Hampshire. I was originally going to get an Osprey xenith for backpacking with my girlfriend, but cant justify spending the money on two bags so this bag needs to do it all. When I go with her I generally carry a lot of gear so she has a lighter pack. Over the summer we are usually in New Hampshire in the White Mountains. I am not a minimalist by any means and like to have more than less.

Can anyone recommend a different Kifaru bag?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you give them a call over there in Colorado? They are very helpful and can give you insight into which bag fits your needs best

Stid2677

WKR
I have a T1, and while I like it. My main beef with it is once you stuff the main bag it barrels making the side pocket very hard to use. I upgraded to an EMR II and much prefer it to the T1, compresses down as small as the frame and the center zip allows me to get to the bottom of my bag without dumping everything, and the center zip also allows for loading meat or even all my gear without having to stuff it in from the top or needing someone to help me hold the bag while I drop in meat or hides.

T1

IMGP4237_zps9f9bd6b4.jpg

EMR II

P8120204_zps82c6c658.jpg

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The T1 is still one of my favorite bags. Like Stid said, a lot of people don't care for the cut of the side pockets but I rarely have an issue with it personally. If I was in your shoes, I would actually probably go with the Mountain warrior and add the new side pockets though. The EMRII would also be a great option for what you're describing. Call Aron at Kifaru before you decide and he will help you get the bag that will work the best for your needs.

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
I think Stid is convincing me to buy an emr. Hopefully we will see some of these on display at the wild sheep society of B.C. banquet.

OP
N

NorthEast

FNG
Ya the EMR was my other choice. I will probably end up giving them a call.

japple

FNG
For what you are doing, I would choose the EMRII or the AMR. A lot of people like the EMR because of it versatility. My only problem with it, is that I know myself and I would pack more than I would ever need or use. For that reason I would choose the AMR. I personally don't like how wide the EMRII gets, I would look like an airplane going through the woods. It doesn't bother some people, it would bother me personally. Look at the review of the EMRII on here, I believe Sam Millard did it. Would be a great pack for you. I think both the EMR and the AMR to be a better pack than the T1

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The new DT1 has 3 more inches on each side pocket and the zippered pockets are another half as big.

We also dropped a few ounces of the DT1 as well.

I can drop an 85 swaro into the pocket now without issue when the pack is stuffed.

OP
N

NorthEast

FNG
The new DT1 has 3 more inches on each side pocket and the zippered pockets are another half as big.

We also dropped a few ounces of the DT1 as well.

I can drop an 85 swaro into the pocket now without issue when the pack is stuffed.

Thanks for the info Aron. Any suggestions between the 3? EMR, DT1, AMR?

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine just ordered a DT1 today, whats the advantage with it if you are running a spotter and tripod?

Slim Jim

WKR
A friend of mine just ordered a DT1 today, whats the advantage with it if you are running a spotter and tripod?

Easy access to them on the sides. I carry a tripod on one side and a 65mm spotter on the other. I've never had a problem accessing either with a loaded pack.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEastID