Converting Remington 700 6.5 Creed to 22-250

sndmn11

WKR
I have had very good experiences with Remington rifles, so I don't mind putting SOME money into this one. I just don't want to chase better accuracy to the point of a new custom rifle. I am perfectly happy with this stock and this trigger. A local smith advertises this: "Barrel Installation (fit barrel to action, chambering, cutting and crowning).....Starting at $350" My plan is to buy a barrel already cut and ready for installation. I can get a McGowan for $375. I'd be at $700 if the barrel swap got the job done. Bedding would run about 200 if it needed that. I'd be okay with sinking a grand into this if it got me good hunting accuracy.
I'm almost certain you could be out the door for under $600 by sending the action to preferred.

OP
Fartrell Cluggins
@Fartrell Cluggins let us know which direction you head, we will be interested!

I picked up the phone to call the gunsmith today and paused. I can buy an 8 twist Tikka 22-250 for $800 It's all but a guarantee that it will outshoot this one. I don't like selling duds, but I could sell this one for $500 with an honest warning and end up spending a net of $300. Or, I can spend perhaps $600 improving this one, and still not have one that will hang with the Tikka. Now I am debating over what to do. I know that I much prefer the feel and ergos of the Remington to the Tikka.

nobody

WKR
I picked up the phone to call the gunsmith today and paused. I can buy an 8 twist Tikka 22-250 for $800 It's all but a guarantee that it will outshoot this one. I don't like selling duds, but I could sell this one for $500 with an honest warning and end up spending a net of $300. Or, I can spend perhaps $600 improving this one, and still not have one that will hang with the Tikka. Now I am debating over what to do. I know that I much prefer the feel and ergos of the Remington to the Tikka.
I know what I would do:

1673989035605.png

If the net overall out of pocket is the same either way, the Tikka probably does make more sense. Just depends on how attached you are to the Remington.

BjornF16

WKR
Tikka all day long…

And you’ll get the 70° bolt lift!

I know what I would do:

View attachment 502826

If the net overall out of pocket is the same either way, the Tikka probably does make more sense. Just depends on how attached you are to the Remington.

No need to bed the Tikka, especially if you put it into a good carbon fiber stock.

Also, no real need to restock it either. If it is a TX3, just put the vertical grip on it and change out the bottom metal to Mountain Tactical or Oregon Mountain. Good to go.

@Fartrell Cluggins, if you do decide to go the Tikka route, I am sure that there is someone out there who will pay up to $600 for that Remington just for parts.

nobody

WKR
No need to bed the Tikka, especially if you put it into a good carbon fiber stock.

Also, no real need to restock it either. If it is a TX3, just put the vertical grip on it and change out the bottom metal to Mountain Tactical or Oregon Mountain. Good to go.

@Fartrell Cluggins, if you do decide to go the Tikka route, I am sure that there is someone out there who will pay up to $600 for that Remington just for parts.
I agree, OP just said he wants to change the stock because he prefers ergos on the Remmy, so my exercise in pricing was for his specific situation. I agree, no need to replace the original stock for ergonomics, just swap out the grip panel