Converting liquid fuel stoves to canister fuel

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to. Wondering if any of you know.

I am looking at MSR liquid fuel stoves, like the dragonfly, XGK, whisperlite etc but dont want to deal with refilling bottles, leaking gaskets, and broken pumps. Is there a way or some kind of an adapter to use a liquid fuel stove like one of those with a regular isopro type fuel canister?

I am drawn to the liquid fuel stoves because it seams as though they typically have a larger cooking surface area and put out more btu's of heat than something like a pocket rocket, at times when weight is not such a factor. Also, it would give me the ability to use other liquid fuels in the event that I dont have access to canisters.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
MSR does make their WhisperLite Hybrid stove that is liquid and canister compatible. Beyond that I haven't seen anyone doing any conversions other than kits to convert full sized Coleman white gas camp stoves to propane cylinders.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I guess i was more curious if there was an outfit that sold some kind of a conversion fuel hose that just threaded onto a cannister, instead of a liquid fuel bottle that you have to pump up, but im thinking it must not be that simple.

EdP

WKR
Primus makes a few different models that use either gas canisters or liquid fuel. Mine has much better simmer control with gas canisters. It is a great stove but much lighter stoves are available that are canister only.

GoatPackr

WKR
You might check Amazon for an adapter that goes on the hose. I want to say I've seen something just like that.

Kris

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider

I have an adapter for 1lb propane, and have refilled butane cannisters. You >really< need to be careful though, I aim for 5g less than full weight. I've overfilled, and the thinner butane cannisters don't like it, getting it hot close to a stove could be a bomb. I use an MSR low down with my Gigapower.

Excited to hear the theoretical safety lectures... (just kidding, I'm not, live your life)

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
MSR has made good liquid fuel stoves for many years. The problem with them is that they haven't updated them in many years. You see guys on forums like this that are quick to tout how great their stove has been working for the past 30 years. The point that gets missed is that for someone who doesn't already have one, there are other options that provide more for similar cost nowadays.

I say that as a person who has cooked many meals on a Dragonfly and a few on a WhisperLite. However, I've also cooked many meals on other white gas stoves from Primus, Coleman and Soto.

As mentioned above, most liquid fuel stove models from Primus and Optimus have a connection to their pump that is the same as the Lindal valve connection on the top of gas canisters. You can literally fire the stove up on white gas, then shut it down, disconnect the pump, screw a gas canister into the hose and fire it back up on gas, all in under 3 minutes and using only the parts that came in the box with the stove.

Yes, you can buy adapters to convert MSR stoves to do similar, but unless you already have an MSR stove, why not just buy the stove that can do it right out of the box?

As others have mentioned above, once you have a stove with a Lindal connection, you can buy adapters on Amazon to convert to the green 16oz propane bottles, or those cheap butane cans that are getting more common around the US, or to other gas fuel sources. I run propane most often when not packing in to minimize cost. I run canister gas sometimes on short trips, and white gas on longer trips or in the winter, all with the same stove, and without changing anything except what the hose is screwed onto.

My favorite stove I've used by far is the Primus OmniLite Ti. Mine came with the silent burner. It's as quiet as a WhisperLite, but it simmers at least as well as a Dragonfly. It also packs down to about half the size of a Dragonfly and is lighter. Using it side by side with a Dragonfly, I think it's capable of a lower simmer, but maybe doesn't have quite as much heat wide open.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
Second the Omnilite Ti with Silencer and the obscenely expensive Stove Paw. Very quiet, great simmer control and packs down small.

I’ve also used an MSR XGK EX and Optimus Polaris.

The Omnilite is in all ways better than both other than stability without the paw. Nicest pump by far. The MSR was all plastic, the Optimus all metal. The Primus pump is all metal where it matters and plastic where it makes sense for “feel” - easiest example is the plastic bushing around the metal pump rod to smooth pumping.