Contact wearers' what's your secrets

thrashero

FNG
My contacts are approved for 6 days/7 nights of continuous wear. I just bring eye drops and have them handy in my tent for when I wake up.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Extended wear contacts. I usually go 30 days before I change them out. Been doing it for many years with no issues. I do bring a spare pair.

Broomd

WKR
Been wearing them on and off for 40 years now (soft lens) I can unequivocally state that living east of the Mississippi is far easier on the eyes with contacts.

The dry western air is brutal and I finally resorted to (mostly) glasses here in arid Idaho.

BBalash3

Lil-Rokslider
Same, extended wear contacts, approved for 30 days continuous use I believe.

I talked to my eye doc about this and she would rather me just wear them the whole time than stick a dirty finger in my eye.

I do pack a few extra for backup.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the night and day contacts that I put in and wear for a month. I pack my back up glasses and an extra set of contacts just in case. when I wore regular contacts that you put in and take out daily, i just did it with no mirror. baby wipes to clean hands and rinse with water, not to hard lol.

ColtyJr

Lil-Rokslider
I was really worried about this as well and didn't want to deal with it for the rest of my life. So I "bit the bullet" and got Lasik about a 2 weeks ago. Best thing I ever did

I got lasik.

I used to wear contacts. The only time I ever got eye infections (twice) was elk hunting. After rolling around in the dirt, gathering fire wood, putting together my box stove, handling dirty tack as we load pack animals, etc., never could keep my hands clean enough. For those who can do it without infections praise be. But not me.

Blueman

FNG
My wife is an optometrist, daily contacts seem to work best for me when hunting. The rest of the year I use monthly. I hope this helps

Banger

FNG
I wear the monthly type. I take them out each night just like at home. Small bottle solution and eye drops throughout the day works for me.

AKSandman

FNG
#1 rule is I don’t sleep in my contacts! (Even ones rated for extended wear)

I just bring the regular peroxide cleaner (in the small bottle) and case. Just make sure the case is upright or it will leak and your solution won’t neutralize properly. Cold weather slows the chemical reaction down to the point I swap out to the regular cleaning Solution and I just put them in a pocket of what I wear to be to keep them from freezing.

I ALWAYS keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer handy and use it to clean my hands prior to removing or putting in contacts.

Used to carry a small mirror, but found it easy to just practice putting in lenses without a mirror at home and now I don’t bring the mirror.

I always carry a spare set of lenses when I’m in a trip.

This system has worked fine for me for over 15 years.

ibchez

FNG
I have always put my lenses in without a mirror. I use those heavy lenses and they always fall of my finger when I tried to use a mirror. On the backpack hunts I have done eye care is one area I always plan for redundancies. I wear monthlies, but bring one backup pair of lenses and glasses with cleaning wipes. I should probably practice more using my optics with glasses though.

CFMT

FNG
I will +1 LASIK/prk. I really struggled with wind and dust with contacts. Glasses are just a PITA.

jeffpg

WKR
I have issues with just having contacts in my eyes…
To be clear I only need reading glasses, but figure that contacts would be more convenient.

I have had new ones prescribed multiple times with intentions to use them but I can’t seem to get past the discomfort and irritation of wearing them. I guess I am super sensitive to having something in my eyes.

Any suggestions as how to overcome this?

thrashero

FNG
I have issues with just having contacts in my eyes…
To be clear I only need reading glasses, but figure that contacts would be more convenient.

I have had new ones prescribed multiple times with intentions to use them but I can’t seem to get past the discomfort and irritation of wearing them. I guess I am super sensitive to having something in my eyes.

Any suggestions as how to overcome this?
You might want to try a different brand if you can. A brand I had worn for years without problems really started to irritate my eyes, and on the advice of the optometrist, I switched brands. I've been fine ever since.