Connected early this year

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Heck, without the calling.......might as well be hunting the rifle season. All the calling and interaction encounters is the only reason I'm out there. Take that away and I'm just camping with my bow.

Congrats on the bull.
Do what works for you but in my part of Idaho there's way too many guys in the woods over calling, and the elk have dramatically changed their behaviors.
I had a bull bugle so quietly that I barely heard it from 75 yards away, it's actually kinda sad

I typically hunt the first couple weeks of archery season (Aug 19 and 31) while the elk are relaxed and leave the September bugling contest to everyone else. I enjoy still hunting in woods that has fewer hunters.

Aug 20 I had a perfect stalk in to a very hard to access wallow. Wind was perfect the whole time, which is a rarity for that spot. It had been raining so the ground was dead quiet. I stopped just in view, probably 40 yards from the opening, to look around the edges to see if there were any bedded. While I stood there a big one jumped up to my side and took off. Sucker was bedded in some tall foliage that I couldn't see in to but apparently saw me.

Congrats! I'd like to hear the story on how you got him!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on the bull and the ambush. Buncha fun doing it that way. WAY back when I elk hunted, I put a treestand in a saddle and had great action. Killed a cow elk the 2nd time I sat, and almost had a raghorn but didn’t keep the bow in my hand and he saw me move and squirted out.