Concentric Multifocal Contacts?

Billinsd

WKR
I'm very near sighted and wear progressive glasses. I wear progressive glasses, because if I wear single vision glasses for near sightedness, I see up close to read. I can read without glasses, don't need reading glasses. So, that is why I wear progressive glasses to see far and up close.

I have not tried contacts other than single vision and I hate to, because I need reading glasses to read. I would far rather have blurry distance vision than up close.

I really hate wearing glasses, so I am considering trying some concentric multifocal lenses.

Those of you that wear concentric multifocal lenses, how do you like them?

Thanks
Bill

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I am not interested in Lasik eye surgury. I had a consultation and the physician said I would have to wear reading glasses to read after the surgury.

Like I said before I would rather have blurry distantance vision than blurry up close vision.

If and when my up close vision becomes blurry, I will reconsider Lasik again.

I am writing this, because I don't want to discuss Lasik.

Thanks Bill !!!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm the complete opposite.........I would much rather be able to see far, and if I have to see near, then I'll throw on some readers.......even though I hate those. If I have to do prolonged close up vision......like tying flies etc, I just take my single vision contacts out. I tried progressive vision and hated it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well I’ve worn them extensively, and like @5MilesBack, I don’t like them for hunting because I can’t see far, however, I can see well up close…

so I think you’ll probably like them.

Also they introduce glare because of the transition between the two powers, so daylight and dusk are a little dicey. That’s why I wear a single power lens for hunting and just throw on some readers if I need to look at something small. Single power has less glare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I tried two different types of multi focal contact lenses a few years ago (the trial pairs were free). I could not get comfortable with either type (or brand - I can’t remember the difference).

I tried monovision once and didn’t like it. But I was sick of wearing reading glasses to see the radio station in my car, the distance wheel on my archery site and to read books, so I tried monovision again and it worked for me. I think it’s amazing. It took a couple of weeks but now it seems completely natural. I’ve even got my wife thinking of getting just a single contact lens to do monovision for reading and she’s never worn contacts before.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Robby nailed it. I don't need reading glasses yet so I don't personally use them but I am an Optometrist and prescribe them frequently. Multifocal CLs are an exercise in compromise. A few observations I've had with them. First, not everyone does well. They can have some strange optical effects. Every time light hits the transition between near and far in the CL it will split, which will cause glare. That affect will be worse in low light because when it gets darker your pupil gets larger which magnifies that effect. Some people also struggle with them because they basically throw all of the near and far at your eye at the same time and leave your brain to sort out the difference. Its not like a pair of bifocals or progressives where you can look a different direction and get a different area of focus. Some people really struggle with this, and some people don't. The best thing to do is try them and see how you do with it but they are rarely perfect at everything. I typically tell my patients that they are designed to do everything OK, but neither far or near will be perfect. Monovision does also work well for a lot of people, but has a high-ish rate of non-adaptation (in the 70/30 zone). Not everyone can do it, they end up seeing double constantly. You also have an additive effect on vision with both eyes are working together where you will usually see better with them both than you will with each individually and you lose that with monovision. There are a lot of ways to correct your up close vision but its a series of pro/con and compromises. I would try and find someone that will work with you and maybe try out a few different options and see what fits best with your lifestyle and needs

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I tried mono vision and didn’t like it. I’ve been told that it is easier for people over 50. So I’m thinking of giving a try again.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I tried mono vision and didn’t like it. I’ve been told that it is easier for people over 50. So I’m thinking of giving a try again.
It can be. Basically as you become more dependent on the contacts to be able to see it makes it easier to adapt, instead of your eye still trying to do the focusing on its own. It’s not true for everyone but It can work

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Trying to reconcile, typo?
Trying to write something complicated. I'm near sighted, I can see close up and to read, but not far. I am so near sighted and my prescription is so strong that I can not read up close with my single vision lenses. I have only used single vision contacts and I hate to, because I need reading glasses to read up close. I do have progressive glasses that I like, because I can see far away and up close. However, even with progressives, I am so near sighted that the close up part of the lenses is not quite as good as my naked eye for close up reading. So, I do take my progressives off ocassionally to see really well up close.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
There are a lot of ways to correct your up close vision but its a series of pro/con and compromises. I would try and find someone that will work with you and maybe try out a few different options and see what fits best with your lifestyle and needs
I really like my progressive glasses. What contact lenses most closely resemble progressives?
Thanks
Bill

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby nailed it. I don't need reading glasses yet so I don't personally use them but I am an Optometrist and prescribe them frequently. Multifocal CLs are an exercise in compromise. A few observations I've had with them. First, not everyone does well. They can have some strange optical effects. Every time light hits the transition between near and far in the CL it will split, which will cause glare. That affect will be worse in low light because when it gets darker your pupil gets larger which magnifies that effect. Some people also struggle with them because they basically throw all of the near and far at your eye at the same time and leave your brain to sort out the difference. Its not like a pair of bifocals or progressives where you can look a different direction and get a different area of focus. Some people really struggle with this, and some people don't. The best thing to do is try them and see how you do with it but they are rarely perfect at everything. I typically tell my patients that they are designed to do everything OK, but neither far or near will be perfect. Monovision does also work well for a lot of people, but has a high-ish rate of non-adaptation (in the 70/30 zone). Not everyone can do it, they end up seeing double constantly. You also have an additive effect on vision with both eyes are working together where you will usually see better with them both than you will with each individually and you lose that with monovision. There are a lot of ways to correct your up close vision but its a series of pro/con and compromises. I would try and find someone that will work with you and maybe try out a few different options and see what fits best with your lifestyle and needs
thanks!

Is single power and monovision the same meaning?

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my progressive glasses. What contact lenses most closely resemble progressives?
Thanks
Bill
unfortunately none of them will be exactly the same. The contact moves with your eye so you can’t set up the optics the same way that you can in glasses. Multifocal contacts are the closest if you can handle their quirks. All other things being equal this is where I start people and I’ll trial multifocal lenses first and if they don’t like them I’ll troubleshoot from there. I prefer them slightly over monovision because you get that little bonus from using both eyes together. Another downside to monovision is you do lose some depth perception as well as that little bit of acuity. You’ll always see better with both eyes working together so if you can tolerate multifocals they give you your best chance at a similar experience to the progressives. If that doesn’t work then I move towards other options

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
thanks!

Is single power and monovision the same meaning?
Single is say just distance, mono is one for long and one for short and the brain works it out so you are glasses free from a non eye doctor, so take it lightly:)
You got it, that’s correct. When I’m saying single vision I’m setting both eyes to be clear in one place, usually far away but can be anywhere. Multifocal contacts and progressives/bifocals are trying to give you clear vision both at a distance and close at the same time. Monovision is a different approach to this using a contact to make one eye clear far (usually your dominant eye) and the other eye clear up close

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Single is say just distance, mono is one for long and one for short and the brain works it out so you are glasses free from a non eye doctor, so take it lightly:)

OK. That makes sense. That’s what they started me on was different prescriptions per eye, but I didn’t like it. I want to look way out there and see stuff, and it made it a little bit fuzzy unless I closed one eye

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched and am happy with my multifocals. Was needing readers to tie flies etc.. and know I can do most of it without them. The readers still need to come out occasionally but it’s must better. My distance is great. My correction is for distance. Tried 2 different r brands, accuvue oasys multifocal and a Bausch and Lomb. Liked the accuvue way better, doc said some folks like one, some like the other, try a couple. Good luck!

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
OK. That makes sense. That’s what they started me on was different prescriptions per eye, but I didn’t like it. I want to look way out there and see stuff, and it made it a little bit fuzzy unless I closed one eye

That’s definitely what I run into with people too. Everyone is a little different and sometimes the multi distance stuff just doesn’t work out. What you’re doing is one of my favorite ways of tackling the issue. It’s probably what I’ll do myself when the time comes, at least when I’m not at work and I have my contacts on