compare tipi's

B

bearguide

i used a mega lite by black diamond last sheep season and really liked it, how does it compare to golite, tigoat or tarps
megalite- 37 oz 86 x 86 --- $260 --- pole weight 5 ?
golite- 67 oz 104 x 120 --- $300 --- pole weight 12.87
tigoat- 29 oz 104 x 118 --- $300 --- pole weight 5.5
tigoat 6.5 38 oz 132 x 144 --- $600 --- pole weight 11oz
kufaru 85 oz 125 x 156 --- $850 --- pole weight included
seekoutside 48 oz 125 x125 --- $450--- pole included

what do you guys like - lets compare

Last edited:

huntndad

FNG
Does the Golite weight include the nest? 67oz seems a bit heavy.
The one I've been considering buying is the Nemo Pentalite. It's a bit bigger than the ones you listed, probably a realistic three man as it's 146x130. I'm not 100% sure about the weight. They list it at 3.5 lbs, but that may not include the pole? I've seen this tent on Amazon for $250.

OP
B

bearguide

backcountry ,com shows the weight at 28 oz for the tarp and 14 oz for the pole/ but the other figures were from golite site
there are two tipi's in the classified section with a link to backcountry for the golite
the ti goat they are selling is a 6.5 and looks really good to me b/c it is much larger with v. little weight increase /but expensive

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently acquired the TiGoat vertex 5. After I get some use out of it this summer I will post up some pictures, thoughts etc. Having set it up a few times I really like it so far. With two people you can sleep comfortably, but the gear could easily get a little tight.

I prefer Kifaru tipis. Sure are awesome shelters that can withstand brutal conditions yet light enough to carry on your back!
DSC_4736.jpg

a3dhunter

WKR
What size are you looking at for the golite?
I bought the GoLite SL-5 made with epic fabric, which is stronger,better than the normal, and a little heavier (about 6-8 oz).
It weighs in at 56 oz with the center pole but without the nest or floor.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My golite sl5 weighs in at 33 oz seem sealed and all guyouts have line tied to em. The listed weight on their website now is with a nest and center pole and stakes. I only ever bring the body itself and the stakes. Hard to get that much space completely closed off from the weather any lighter than the sl5.

OP
B

bearguide

there is a tigoat in classified 6.5 that looks good and lite

OP
B

bearguide

i am adding new info on any tipi you think is good

luke moffat

Super Moderator
is the sl5 big enough for two and gear

Les,

Becca and I live in ours all season. They are huge for their weight. We got a nest so the sleeping area is screened off with a floor but the other 60 sq ft is floorless which is nice.

Here are a couple pics to give scale, hard to beat for the pace/weight hey provide:
SANY0764.jpg

SANY0765.jpg

IMGP0421.jpg

Being still sub 3.75 pounds with 19 stakes and all the guy lines plus the nest it's a lightweight 90 sq ft palace. Also slept 3 guys in there comfortably in September sheep hunt when the bugs aren't bad so a nest isn't needed.

stephen b

WKR
Luke,

?- What is the weight of the nest and who makes it?

- It looks like a very good set-up; I am sure much lighter than the stock nest; and nice to have all that bare soil floor space- to use for exactly what is shown in pics.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
i saw a nest similar to that made by sea to summit at a local sporting goods store, the thing only weighed a couple ounces. Im thinking of picking one up for my paratipi when the skeeters are out in full force.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Stephen its a mount laurel designs net 2 can't remember the exact model name but get on their site and click around a bit you'll find it. Also bear paw tents offer the pry ante 2 in various configurations for a bit less coin. The sea to summit bug nest doesn't have a floor lawnbio but I have a brand new one i will sell ya for half of retail if interested.

Last edited:

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any experience with the TIgoat tipis?

I just got a Vertex 5 and am pretty impressed with the construction. The anchor points for the stakes are very strong, and the materials appear to be of very high quality. I may do kind of a running review of it(and other new gear) here through the summer and into hunting season as it gets used more.