compare tipi's

muleman

WKR
thanks for the input / i like the 6.5 right now buy i am still looking

bearguide, did you decide on a shelter? GoLite has the SL-5 back in stock as of today.

TiGoat is local to me and only 75 minutes from Evanston. I have visited TiGoat many times and seen their products. DJ is great and has good products. In the end I just couldn't afford the $330 price difference for the TiGoat 6.5 vs the GoLite SL-5.

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
I have an Oware 9' x 9' pyramid tent that I really like. It comes in at 29.3oz with the tent, 6 stakes, stuff sack and all guy lines attached. Being square shaped (at the bottom) it has more usuable floor space (IMO) but does not shed wind quite as well as a round tipi. It ran me around $220 and has held up well for the past couple years. My only complaint is it can be a bit noisy in the wind if you don't guy it out and I could use a few more guy outs but now I am just being picky.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got a Seekoutside Backcountry Shelter and am very pleased.

At 3 lbs it is light enough for solo use, and it's a palace for one, offering walk-in stand up height and plenty of storage room.

It's big enough to sleep two in its base configuration, but an expander panel is offered that makes it a three person shelter- or big enough for two smelly dudes and gear.

I've got a nest coming for bug protection.

It's very versatile, and is at a good weight and price point.

muleman

WKR
I've got a Seekoutside Backcountry Shelter and am very pleased.

At 3 lbs it is light enough for solo use, and it's a palace for one, offering walk-in stand up height and plenty of storage room.

It's big enough to sleep two in its base configuration, but an expander panel is offered that makes it a three person shelter- or big enough for two smelly dudes and gear.

I've got a nest coming for bug protection.

It's very versatile, and is at a good weight and price point.

Do you have a Seek Outside stove? If so how does it compare to Kifaru and TiGoat?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Right now I've got a Kifaru small stove.

I'd like to have a lighter model though and had considered a ti goat or one of Ed T's roll ups.

OP
B

bearguide

i have not got one yet. i have been thinking about using the outside of a hilleburg nallo 3, hoping it will shed wind better. i just got back from alaska where the wind ripped apart the cabelas outfitter series tent i was staying in. it busted the poles in 5 different places and shreaded the canapy

OP
B

bearguide

thanks muleman i am going to make a trip to ogden to take a look at the tigoat. but like you said the cost matters, so i will look for used or a cheaper one

muleman

WKR
thanks muleman i am going to make a trip to ogden to take a look at the tigoat. but like you said the cost matters, so i will look for used or a cheaper one

Let me know when you are coming down. I'd be happy to show you the GoLite SL-3 and SL-5.

muleman

WKR

I've followed Wyoming Lost and Found for a couple of years. At one point, I tried to bring in a demo tipi, things didn't work out. Don't know anyone with first hand experience. From past research weight doesn't seem to be one their strong points.

I can't recall the name right now, but there is another up and coming tipi maker that might be worth a look. I'll try too find a link for them.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can read all you ever wanted about wyo lost and found over on the 24hourcampfire backpack hunting forum. He posts under the name whambasted IIRC.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is the sl3. I just got it, This is the first time it has seen daylight.

2f3e13eb.jpg

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I have some question for all you floorless guys. Do you use bivys for your bags or some type of floor for your tipi? I have a Seedhouse2 with the option to pitch it without the tent but have been hesitant to do so worrying about moisture on my bag. I have a floor for my tent but have never set up fast and light. Thanks for the info. How do you keep water out of the tipi when it rains? Does it not run under the edges of the tipi?????

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Above Timber,

I use a 3' X 8' sheet of tyvek as a ground sheet.

As far as water......ever move your car after a rainstorm and notice the ground was completely dry underneath? If you use common sense with a floorless shelter then you'll stay dry. Don't pitch it in a depression, or in a dry creek bed, etc. basically the same rules as a regular tent.