Compact binos?

earrow

FNG
Doubt if you would be disappointed with the maven B3 8x30 or 10x30 have them both still haven't picked a favorite have swaros and liecas to compare to you're not giving up much

dkim

FNG
I have used the GPO 8x32 mentioned earlier. I found them to be great and bought mine on another forum for $290 (a new warranty replacement). Very happy with them.

OP
S

Samson7x

WKR
Just an update on this but I did get the B3 8x30 with guidefitter discount so couldn’t pass them up. Should be here next week so I’ll keep y’all posted on my thoughts when they arrive.

I had the idea once to use a lighter set of binos for a woods hunt. Bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x30. Used them one time on a eastern big timber whitetail hunt. Went back to my 8.5x42 ELs. Too spoiled or maybe just used to a larger set. I didnt notice the weight difference. I might of had a different experience with a better quality compact than the Nikons.

bcjoe

FNG
Since the OP went down to the tenth decimal, and because of my OCD, I feel the urge to point out that the GPO 8x32 Passion EDs are actually listed at 17.6 oz.

And, for what it's worth, I have the GPO 8x32 Rangeguide binos, which GPO lists at 24 oz but on my scale (dead nuts accurate) came to 25.4. Which makes me wonder whether the Rangeguide numbers are not the only GPO weight numbers that are optimistic?

(But, they are great optics. Good image quality and very fast ranging. My only quibble is that the eyecups on the Rangeguide are loose and want to collapse slightly with the slightest provocation, changing the eye relief. I don't wear glasses so I use eyecups fully extended. Collapsing problem solved with rubber bands or an o-ring.)

So, the OP wanted to stay below $1k. But just to throw another spoiler out there.

Zeiss SFL 8x30: $1499, 16.2 oz, 90% light transmission, 3.75mm exit pupil

Actually almost identifical to the Swaro CLs. Almost the same FOV between the two (426 vs 433 ft @1000 yards).

If it matters to you, you can save 1 oz by going with the Zeiss. Probably, it boils down to which your eyes and hands like better. OP also mentioned they can get a better price on the Swaros.

Robby Denning's review of the SFL 8x30s here.

Swaro CL 8x30: $1449 (can obtain at lower cost), 17.3oz, 90% light transmission, 3.7 exit pupil
Zeiss conquest 8x32: $979, 22.2oz, 90% light transmission, 4 exit pupil
Maven b3 8x30: $550, 16.6oz, 95.2% light transmission, 3.75 exit pupil, Japan glass
For reference, the SLC 10x42 is 27oz with 91% light transmission
I was reading your post and I was interested in the GPO 10x32 RF binos to help cut some weight. What is your opinion on their performance? Is there anything you do not like about them? You seem to have a quite of experience with optics and I would appreciate any info you can share with me. Thank you for your time.

LoH

FNG
I was reading your post and I was interested in the GPO 10x32 RF binos to help cut some weight. What is your opinion on their performance? Is there anything you do not like about them? You seem to have a quite of experience with optics and I would appreciate any info you can share with me. Thank you for your time.
I'm very satisfied with their performance. The only thing I do not like is the aforementioned eyecup issue, but, it's a cheap and easy fix with a pair of rubber bands. Or, if you are an eyeglass wearer it'd be a non-issue. (There's really no excuse for it tho, on a $1,000 pair of binos, in my not-so-humble opinion.)

I also got them to cut down on weight and bulk for strenuous backcountry hunts, where I personally count ounces, streamline my systems and make compromises.

I also use them for day-hunting archery elk, where I appreciate the convenience of an all-in-one unit. I had a pair of alpha RF binos with the ballistic engine and all that, but since I'm on an indefinite hiatus from PRS-style competition, and I never have been tempted to take long-distance shots on game animals, I really don't need all that.

All I want and need is a) Excellent, not necessarily Alpha glass b) fast, accurate ranging and c) an "Actual Horizontal Distance" mode, which the GPOs have, and which came in very handy on a recent archery sheep hunt. And I imagine would also be valuable for treestand hunters, etc.

My eyes really like the image, color, contrast, sharpness.

For other hunts, where I'm not counting ounces and I'm not archery hunting in timber, I'm back to separate units. NL pures + basic handheld rangefinder.

If you want to check these out (they are 8x32s not 10x but should give you a sense of ergonomics and image quality) DM me and I could probably loan them to you if you wanna cover shipping.