Colorado wilderness crowding

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
Increase of 20,000+ bowhunters is definitely not 'one subset of hunters in one locale'
20K hunters represents .13% of the license sales in the US last year, that’s basically 1/8 of a percent. What would you classify that as?

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think the original poster or anyone else on this thread (except maybe you) was talking about national averages or national trends. Most of us deal with what we experience. So that can crack you up all you want, but that doesn't change the facts of what we experience out there, regardless of what your national stats show.

The question as to whether or not declining hunter numbers is a real thing has been consistent in this thread. It’s a thing, and it’s happening, you can continue to focus on what you experience out there, and that’s fine, but know that it’s fine because there are others who focus on big picture, and not what your regional bias makes you feel.

come2elmo

WKR
So I think we can all agree there are lots of folks hunting. But what are the really viable solutions. Each has a plus and minus.
Nah, most of those guys are too fat to throw on a backpack and climb a hill

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
speak for yourself. I have the extra large waist belt so I will at least look the part while hanging out at the trailhead waiting for my e-bike to charge.

JWP58

WKR
Yes, last two years myself and my daughter have both received a survey however my two boys have not. Mine have been big game related and my daughter's have been waterfowl.

Well I'm not sure how reliable their numbers are if the survey is at random. But it must be settled.

I have no doubts that hunting in the east is declining, but could it be that those eastern hunters are driving west to hunt?

I"m not going to look up state by state for you but a quick round of googling tells me that at the peak in 1982 Americans bought 28.3 million hunting licenses, and that last year they bought only 15.6 million.

If you are genuinely curious, the information is out there to be found.

That stat must be from the N. Idaho panhandle region. Lol!! Because it sure is feeling that way around here.

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm not sure how reliable their numbers are if the survey is at random. But it must be settled.

I have no doubts that hunting in the east is declining, but could it be that those eastern hunters are driving west to hunt?

I think there is definitely an element of that. When you look at license sales number, I don’t think it would be a jump to assume that those who are quitting aren’t the hardcore guys, and further that the hardcore hunters that don’t live in the west are more likely to travel west for that experience.

While it’s frustrating for hunters who feel they’ve had it more to themselves in the past, I think it’s important to recognize that the more people who have a personal investment in our public lands, the harder it’s going to be for the transfer crowd to attain their goals.

brsnow

WKR
I don’t see it as an investment in the outdoors, the trash left behind also has increased.

svivian

WKR
As a Colorado resident and otc hunter ill chime in. I think the flood of people who are coming to hunt effects those who dont like to move around and only hunt the same areas year after year the most. The ones that feel as if it is "their spot." Just this last weekend I went out to a brand new area and was able to call in a heard of 15 or so elk and i was all alone on public land and it was amazing to say the least. Now there are some areas i have hunted since i was in high school that were similar that now are overflowing with hunters. Yeah i was pissed but i found a new area and no one was there and i hunted for a few years till it got crowded then moved again. Now i know someone will say "eventually you will run out of places to hunt" and that may be true. But here is my point, from moving spot to spot i have managed to have 6 or 7 places to go that I can get into elk, and what i notice is always one spot will be significantly less crowded then the rest and it changes year to year. Yeah its pain for scouting and its a pain when i get there and have to decide to move but its not impossible. What i find most frustrating is how this state can make all that money and have such poor management year to year.

Went up Friday before the opener, I’ve got a spot that is usually pretty good opening day with the elk still feeding up above tree line. Pulled into the trailhead and there was already 14 trucks. Hiked up to the tree line and set up camp. I was into elk every day, just no bulls. I saw 6 different guys in the basin I was camped at, probably 1.5 to 2 miles from the nearest marked trail. I have to work tomorrow so came down and did a little fly fishing on the way home. When I got back to my truck there were 22 trucks/cars in the trailhead parking area. Wonder where the tipping point is when it comes to hunting pressure in Colorado? I’ll love hunting this state and I enjoy talking to guys I meet in the field. I still manage to get elk and deer off the mountain but wonder at what point the pressure is going to become just too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How many Born & Raised and Hushin window stickers were there?

elkduds

WKR
Colorado residents, get ready for two more out of states hunters in White River, Gunnison, and Grand Mesa NFs starting this friday. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
Welcome and best of luck hunting in the Centennial state. Have you tried the cannabis edibles? Thanks in advance for funding our Parks/Wildlife budget, and for spending as much $ as possible before leaving here on your way home.

TheCougar

WKR
Bring back the bomb!!

Give War a Chance!!

This is EXACTLY why I choose to hunt private land. Trespass insurance enables me to not only get away from the crowds, but also get into unpressured animals without having to pay for expensive guided hunts. Juan can hook you up. I also recommend an onX subscription, so you can more easily find the best private lands on which to trespass.

Last edited:

WKR
I don't see a national decline in hunting sales and I see an increase in total sales in Colorado. Not my stats but here is the link:

I much prefer hunting draw units vs otc as I kind of hate the crowds. I like late season bird hunting for the same reason.

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
I need to correct an earlier post I made...not going to edit it because it will change the context of the thread, but I do want to correct it. I mixed up numbers of licenses with numbers of license holders when I said that there were over 28 million license holders in 1982...there were in fact 17 million.

Here is an article that actually gives some breakdown state to state, it shows the states that are increasing/decreasing in raw numbers, and in per capita.