Colorado units 75/751- help me decide! please.....

ureyes

FNG
I posted this over in the elk section too but am interested in the diehard mule deer guys thoughts as well!

I don't typically like asking where to hunt in an area. I don't expect a lot of guys want to give up their spot. I've been researching for awhile now and I like the content of this forum and the guys here seem pretty knowledgeable....so I joined. Its got auto spell correct too so that's a huge bonus.

I drew a mule tag for 2nd season units 75/751 and I am taking my boys on their first big game hunt. we will be hunting mule deer and elk. I have never hunted this unit and am searching hard trying to formulate a plan to give them a good hunt. Its likely this will be the only chance we ever get to do this together....so I have to make this count. I haven't been out in 8 years and don't foresee me going again anytime soon so don't worry about me crowding your spot....after this year anyways.

I have it narrowed down to 4 general areas. If you could be so kind to tell me what you think is the best bet. we plan to backpack in so a couple mile hike off road is fine for us. replies or PMs are graciously accepted.

1. First area is in northeastern 751 coming in through 76 using the trail head at the rio grande reservoir. Probably 4-5 mile hike in off the trail head and hunting another mile back and up from that.

2. Another is in unit 75 north of Henderson lake up missionary road. Camp at stag mesa and hunt the tank/grasshopper/wild woman drainages.

3. Another is northeast of lemon reservoir. camp north end of Endlich mesa and hunt the east and west drainages off the top.

4. finally the area southeast of the Vallecito reservoir, north of highway 160. other side of the ridge from east creek.

again any and all input is appreciated. This is the trip of a lifetime for me and my 2 sons....something I have dreamed about doing with them for years. Success in the field will just make it that much sweeter......

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted 751 on the north side a couple days ago. We backpacked in 6 miles from rio grande reservoir. 2 outfitters have camps set up within a mile of the 76 and 751 unit line. The divide trail also goes through that area so it does get a lot of traffic. Stayed in for 4 days and didn't see any mule deer.

OP
U

ureyes

FNG
We are due to head out the 10th and will arrive 5 days before season opens. Planning to stay mobile and look around the first 3-4 days before deciding on a specific area.

The jury is still out but I believe we have written off the Rio Grande reservoir route.

I decided my boys wouldn't be able to handle that kind of pack out.

Still seeking advice up till the day we set the wall tent....lol.

Says their last activity was in the year 2015

Just a guess, but doubt they will respond

(I just clicked on their name to see last activity since the thread was 8 years old )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk