Colorado Unit 81 now a draw instead of OTC for Archery

Thanks...seems like the last yr you could do OTC is the last year I went. I just looked up the map per unit. Gunna have to switch plans up for the next trip. Farewell red bridge area and driving up thru Chama!

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks...seems like the last yr you could do OTC is the last year I went. I just looked up the map per unit. Gunna have to switch plans up for the next trip. Farewell red bridge area and driving up thru Chama!
The last season archery was otc for NR was in 2021. Was 100% draw odds for first choice 0 points last year. Heard of several people not drawing this year 1st choice. Looks like point creep is beginning.

lak2004

WKR
The last season archery was otc for NR was in 2021. Was 100% draw odds for first choice 0 points last year. Heard of several people not drawing this year 1st choice. Looks like point creep is beginning.
Yea that's definitely inaccurate.
e95f53f9d53d4d4408826ba06ee98a96.jpg

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. Well does this tell you how many applied 1st choice? I’d be curious because I know two that say that didn’t get drawn 1st choice.
It does tell you that. Tags were drawn out at 2nd choice. 100% of first choice applicants drew. Res and non-res. Whoever is telling you they didn't draw as 1st choice are giving you incorrect info.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
It does tell you that. Tags were drawn out at 2nd choice. 100% of first choice applicants drew. Res and non-res. Whoever is telling you they didn't draw as 1st choice are giving you incorrect info.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Understood.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
81 is a good unit that will be a great one soon by reducing hunter density a little. Looking forward to having a few 350's to chase around instead of 320's!
Im sure the 2000 archery draw tags and unlimited otc 2nd/3rd rifle tags will help herd quality in 80/81 ...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

lak2004

WKR
What exactly are you saying isn’t accurate?
Sorry the screenshot didn't turn out. Everyone who put in for 1st choice drew, resident and nonresident. Go here and see draw recap report.

LostArra

WKR
Is there any way to know if hunter density was actually affected by going from OTC to a draw?
It seems like everyone that applies gets a tag.
I guess the draw just weeds out those Texans and Oklahomans who don't want to plan ahead and apply for the draw.
When I used to bow hunt there in the OTC days there were lots of trucks and horse trailers but I never saw anyone in the woods especially when you hit the wilderness area.

TheHammer

WKR
Is there any way to know if hunter density was actually affected by going from OTC to a draw?
It seems like everyone that applies gets a tag.
I guess the draw just weeds out those Texans and Oklahomans who don't want to plan ahead and apply for the draw.
When I used to bow hunt there in the OTC days there were lots of trucks and horse trailers but I never saw anyone in the woods especially when you hit the wilderness area.
I believe the strategy was to start with the calculated approximate amount of hunters from the last 2 years of otc (2400 archery hunters) then dial it back to meet herd management goals. But guys are also becoming more educated and ambitious. Gear is also better and lighter than ever.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry the screenshot didn't turn out. Everyone who put in for 1st choice drew, resident and nonresident. Go here and see draw recap report.
Thanks!

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the strategy was to start with the calculated approximate amount of hunters from the last 2 years of otc (2400 archery hunters) then dial it back to meet herd management goals. But guys are also becoming more educated and ambitious. Gear is also better and lighter than ever.
Wasn’t there like 3800 tags bought or something crazy like that during cvoid? Anyhow I’ve felt the pressure drop off first hand since the unit went to draw. Less vehicles at the trail head. I’m still shocked I didn’t draw a deer tag with a point.