Colorado Unit 71 Archery Elk

Going back to 71 after quite a few years. This time however I plan to bivouac. I am interested in the Lizard Head Wilderness. Want to make sure I can get away from outfitters and other hunters if it gets busy. I have maps and have been looking over them but would like to get some more detail on this area if anyone spends any time up there. One of my questions is opening week or last week? I've never hunted after muzzle loader and am wondering if the elk are jacked up after the caps have been popping? Any help is much appreciated and I can be pM'd if that works better.

Hunted just west of there two years ago by Dunton. We hunted the last weekend of muzzy and the next week. Not sure about the wilderness area but the rest of the road from Rico to dunton is covered with camps. Lots of elk but lots of pressure.

Mmcan

WKR
There's a guy in Dolores that runs a general hardware store. Hung his elk mount recently. It's a great elk. He said it was the first time he had bowhunter, parked his truck above ******, walked a couple hundred yards, and drills this hog. Told him he has totally screwed himself by having had that kind of luck on his first outing. It will never be as easy as that again;-)
Good luck on your hunt. I'm planning to be in the same unit, but hopefully earlier in the season. I do not like hunting when yahoos have guns with them.

Vtsheddog

FNG
I'm looking into an OTC hunt in Colorado during the archery season, seems like the biggest piece of advice is get away from the roads and ATV access

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peddar01

FNG
I'll be in the wilderness the last week of archery. I'll be the one huffing and puffing from Iowa. Can't wait!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wow, I hunted there several years ago and we did see other hunters. We went opening day for 10 days and it was busy in the beginning but then we saw no one by the end of our trip. Unfortunately, my hunting partner is still deployed so this year Ill be solo so Im going to have to think about meat packing and how far I am willing to drop an elk from the truck. Ill be going from aug-27 sept-7 if anyone knows of a reliable pack service.

Dabo

FNG
I'll be there muzzy week with my bow . Friends got cow tags in the draw .
Maybe run across some of you on the trail.

warrant

WKR
Just curious. How was Unit 71 last year?

Mmcan

WKR
Just curious. How was Unit 71 last year?

Bow hunted 2 weeks in an area where my friend and his other buddies (all of them have been or are guides) go regularly. Saw 2 elk cows, very little bugling at all, and none of them had had much luck in any of the camps they had been in. Very disappointing.

Hoping for a better hunt this year.

warrant

WKR
Bow hunted 2 weeks in an area where my friend and his other buddies (all of them have been or are guides) go regularly. Saw 2 elk cows, very little bugling at all, and none of them had had much luck in any of the camps they had been in. Very disappointing.

Hoping for a better hunt this year.

Good luck this year!!

Was a rough year for buddy and I. Only saw a couple of cows, no bulls. Going to give it another go this year. Most likely by myself.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like trying new areas, and just drove through 71 two weeks ago. Looks like a great area, but it already sounds crowded just with RS guys on this thread.