Colorado unit 61

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree completely. Any negativity about numbers, size and such is just noise to me.
The last time I was in the elk woods was 2005 but even after all that time, I am confident I can find the elk. I do hope to get into a bugle fest before I am done.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
I agree completely. Any negativity about numbers, size and such is just noise to me.
The last time I was in the elk woods was 2005 but even after all that time, I am confident I can find the elk. I do hope to get into a bugle fest before I am done.
You will hear bugles. 61 has great action.

Like others have said I would shoot the first 330+ bull you see. In 2020 I passed up a 330 on day one and never seen another one bigger. Its hard to fight the urge of shooting a 290-300 bull but you will see a bunch of them! Have a lot of fun though its a great hunt and you will see a ton of Elk!
I have never spent time trying to score animals. I am just watching videos and saying shoot or not shoot. I figure my best chance to get my best bull is opening day. Hope to have at least one weekend to glass in the AM before the season. 2 weeks in the PM.

kjw

WKR
Pretty excited for this season. Drew a 61 rifle tag as resident. I’ll be over there scouting as much as I can and hunt it like crazy. If I find something that tickles my peanut butter, great. If not then so be it. I try not to get caught up in the amount of points it takes anymore. It’s just the cost of doing business. Good luck to everyone else that drew!

Pretty excited for this season. Drew a 61 rifle tag as resident. I’ll be over there scouting as much as I can and hunt it like crazy. If I find something that tickles my peanut butter, great. If not then so be it. I try not to get caught up in the amount of points it takes anymore. It’s just the cost of doing business. Good luck to everyone else that drew!
What season? Bull or cow? My sister drew bull 3rd season so we will be out there.

My wife drew one of the 61 archery hybrid tags. I had an amazing time hunting with two friends in 2012 and 2013 in 61. I can't wait to get back there and see the area again. It is going to be an awesome summer scouting.

Anybody know about how the mule deer are doing there? Drew a 2nd rifle muley tag for this year. 24 points for elk, so I’m hoping I can get in there and learn the unit a bit chasing deer this year and hopefully draw for archery elk next year.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody know about how the mule deer are doing there? Drew a 2nd rifle muley tag for this year. 24 points for elk, so I’m hoping I can get in there and learn the unit a bit chasing deer this year and hopefully draw for archery elk next year.
They were not hit hard by winter kill like the NW corner of the state was....it's business as usual.

Have a good hunt!

Looking for a place to rent from Aug 07 to Sept 30. Was planning to stay at the Rimrock in Naturita but it looks like that is not going to work.

Any ideas?

ahlgringo

WKR
My wife drew one of the 61 archery hybrid tags. I had an amazing time hunting with two friends in 2012 and 2013 in 61. I can't wait to get back there and see the area again. It is going to be an awesome summer scouting.

Wow, someone actually draws those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Except they are very few deer in 61 anymore. It will be a great scouting trip for a future elk hunt.
The population estimate of the Uncompahgre herd was 10,300 with 33% buck to doe in 2022.
There are only 9 DAU's out of 55 in Colorado with higher deer populations. And, there are only two units that comprise this DAU. Units 61 and 62. Most DAU's have more units with less total deer. In terms of population, it's a top 20% DAU in the state.

But, I guess the deer migrated to 62 along with all of the elk. Funny, I keep seeing both in 61, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.