Colorado unit 55

Aangelo

FNG
Looking for a little info on unit 55. I am planning a 5 day archery hunt in this unit. I was thinking of entering unit around the Taylor park/reservoir area. Does anyone have trail head parking info? Or any unit tips are helpful, first Colorado hunt

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm not mistaken, that's a very popular atv/orv area. Other than that I don't have any info.

chindits

WKR
Busy busy busy. Taylor area is an ohv dirt bike destination spot. That should taper off after labor day. Mountain bikers galore around Crested Butte. I've had some downhill bkers shouting at me while I was bow hunting, after they carried their bikes up a ridge line into a wilderness area. No real trail, they were just going to punch down the alpine. I'm sure you saw all the bow tags they give out for that unit. On the bright side, most people stick to the trails and roads. I've watched elk laying out above timberline overlooking one of the busiest ohv 4x4 roads in the unit. So I would say they are pretty use to traffic going by. However they aren't use to seeing slow moving people walking cross country so they will get up and go if the see you. You want info on trailheads? Yup, lots of trailheads. Lots of trails everywhere. That about covers it.

Busy busy busy. Taylor area is an ohv dirt bike destination spot. That should taper off after labor day. Mountain bikers galore around Crested Butte. I've had some downhill bkers shouting at me while I was bow hunting, after they carried their bikes up a ridge line into a wilderness area. No real trail, they were just going to punch down the alpine. I'm sure you saw all the bow tags they give out for that unit. On the bright side, most people stick to the trails and roads. I've watched elk laying out above timberline overlooking one of the busiest ohv 4x4 roads in the unit. So I would say they are pretty use to traffic going by. However they aren't use to seeing slow moving people walking cross country so they will get up and go if the see you. You want info on trailheads? Yup, lots of trailheads. Lots of trails everywhere. That about covers it.

Yep, that's our experience. Pick a spot that looks good, go try it. If it's good stay there, if not, try another spot. Big unit, lots of places to hunt. My experience is that everywhere we have been in there, we have at least heard/seen elk. and,there are still a lot of ATV's after labor day. Good news is there is lots of wilderness where they aren't supposed to go.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Agreed. I hunted NW of Crested Butte the first week of September a couple years ago and my gawd for people! Like already mentioned, most of the time they stay on the trails and the critters are used to hikers and the activity. But I did have 2 stalks blown by people skipping down the trials.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 55 the first and last week of archery last year. It takes time to learn the unit as others have said so temper your expectations. The unit is steep and expansive... Easy to feel overwhelmed. As rough as the terrain is, you will quit mentally before you quit physically. Stay with it and put lots of miles under your boots. It is a great unit to day hunt as there are some good forest roads throughout. You are still going to want to hike a few miles in from the roads to find animals consistently. Cell phone service is only available at "the point" on Taylor reservoir so bring a Garmin Inreach or sat phone if you are solo for safety. Check out AEI guide service. They do a semi guided hunt that might be up your alley. It would give you a chance to meet the guides and pick up some tips. There was a vehicle every mile parked on the forest roads through out the unit last week of archery. Didn't see another hunter the entire first week. Got on animals consistently both times but couldn't capitalize on my opportunities. Good luck.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
I will also mention that I am not hunting 55 again this year. there are better units out there in my opinion.

They will be 3 of us hunting 55 archery this year. We will be out mid September till the end. We are looking to stay in the wilderness areas near taylor park. Never hunted here before. I have always hunt otc near steamboat springs. Seems like BIG BIG Country . Been doing lots of research with dead ends also. Good luck on your hunt!!

Hey AG, that's the only point we got consistent cell service too, at least on my phone, or up above timberline north of Taylor park. We camped up by the Pieplant mill last year during last week of the season, but elk were pretty sparse in that area, so we hunted elsewhere 90% of the time, and were spiked out the majority of the week.

KHNC

WKR
So how did your hunt go last year? Did it help by posting the exact unit? Just curious if it met your expectations? heard some good things about that unit this past weekend.

Mikeha33

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to hear as well. We're headed to 55 for a week the 2nd week of Sept. Looking forward to ATV's & mountain bikes it sounds like...

Thomas11

WKR
I have the 1st rifle tag if anyone wants to offer up some advice! I’m all ears!

I rifled a 6x6 during 2nd season in 2017 on Matchless Mountain, the terrain there was steep and challenging to negotiate. We also encountered a lot of elk in the meadows on the west side of Taylor reservoir, at the base of the mountains so you may want to consider hiking into that area for either a morning or evening. Definitely lots of atv riders scooting around the access roads/trails. Beautiful country down there, enjoy!

chasewild

WKR
I rifled a 6x6 during 2nd season in 2017 on Matchless Mountain, the terrain there was steep and challenging to negotiate. We also encountered a lot of elk in the meadows on the west side of Taylor reservoir, at the base of the mountains so you may want to consider hiking into that area for either a morning or evening. Definitely lots of atv riders scooting around the access roads/trails. Beautiful country down there, enjoy!
Congrats. These spots are now the equivalent of Walmart.

Seriously, unit numbers, unit specifics DO NOT belong on a public forum.