Colorado unit 140 public land

First year hunting colorado and I managed to draw 2 tags. Drew 1 mule deer 3rd rifle tag in unit 140 and a 2nd season elk in 51.

I was able to get drawn for the access permit for James m john swa. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Not looking for spots just weather if im going to be wasting valuable PTO or not chasing mule deer here. I know the public Is small but im hoping since they only allow 12 hunters per season that I might have a decent shot as taking a buck.

Thanks in advance

I’ve hunted turkeys in James John. 8 miles one way for a 20lb bird. It was a great hunt but I won’t go there again without horses. I’m not sure how far you have to go for a but getting out of lake dorthey is a pretty good hike. Good luck

OP
G
I’ve hunted turkeys in James John. 8 miles one way for a 20lb bird. It was a great hunt but I won’t go there again without horses. I’m not sure how far you have to go for a but getting out of lake dorthey is a pretty good hike. Good luck
It's 3 miles to get to where I can start rifle hunting. Main concern right now is if the snow pushes them off the top down to lake Dorothy I can't take the rifle. I have no issue archery hunting them but would much rather rifle hunt.

KHNC

WKR
Do you have any other units you have drawn in the past too? If so, please post them as well. I am gathering research on where to use my deer points in CO.

OP
G
Eastmans tag hub. Subscribe to it and look threw the data they have, it's a goldmine of information.

Gabulldog91, I somehow got even luckier than you and drew the only MD rifle tag for the new Fishers Peak State Park. I still have no idea how I got so lucky because I have horrible luck with any draws. Anyway, I wish you luck. I had that 140 tag for a few weeks before I got the email saying I had been drawn, and I was looking hard at the archery only area around Lake Dorothy as an option during that 3rd rifle hunt if I didn't get the state park draw.

OP
G
Gabulldog91, I somehow got even luckier than you and drew the only MD rifle tag for the new Fishers Peak State Park. I still have no idea how I got so lucky because I have horrible luck with any draws. Anyway, I wish you luck. I had that 140 tag for a few weeks before I got the email saying I had been drawn, and I was looking hard at the archery only area around Lake Dorothy as an option during that 3rd rifle hunt if I didn't get the state park draw.
Congrats on the draw! Wish you the best of luck.