Colorado Ranching for Wildlife

rpeebles

FNG
Anyone have any experience with the Ranching for Wildlife program here in Colorado? My daughter turned twelve last year, but didn't draw a deer tag for the unit we wanted to hunt. This year I've decided to put her in for a RFW cow elk tag. I've never hunted any of these ranches, but have heard good things about the program. My daughter has tagged along on a few archery elk hunts with me, but this will be her first elk hunt. I'm hoping she will have a quality experience so that she maintains her level of excitement. Thanks in advance for the help.

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Why a RFW property? With the new changes this year in 2015 you are better off putting in for a limited draw unit for her. The RFW properties are not included in the 15% allocation of cow tags to youth like the other limited quota units are. Page 5 of the booklet has all the new laws for youth. IMHO you have a better chance of drawing a really good tag for her in some prime area with this new law more so then putting in for a RFW property. The RFW properties offer some excellent oppertunities however drawing the tag is pretty tuff and can take some time.