Colorado OTC Archery Elk

Hey Guys...i'd like a little input on unit 17 for early season archery. I drew my unit 7 tag, but a buddy of mine is a first time bow hunter and is wanting to hunt unit 17/181 as he late season rifle hunts here. I only have experience with Ryders Peak in unit 17 as i've hunted mainly unit's 16/161/14/6 as an OTC archery. I've heard a number of guys say something about Little Haystack, but I'm an experienced backcountry spike guy and plan on putting on a few miles to get up and out of the congestion of hunters down low. Any thoughts on Little haystack area and to the south of there, Hyannis Peak area, or along the continental divide trail that separates unit 17 and unit 181.

Also, would you give up unit 17 and head north to unit 16 and go into the S Zirkels around Rainbow/Roxy Ann lakes and Lake Katherine. I haven't hunted unit 16 in 2 years but i know there are elk in there, just have to dig deep for them out of the high pockets. A few roads are open back up now from logging the past few years and i know access will be a little easier, especially behind rabbit ears. Also, any news on Mexican Ridge...usually some good bulls in there first week then they scatter high or onto that ranch behind the trust land.

Give me your 2 cents on all this if you have any experience as of late with any of these area's.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of layers to this. My first archery hunt was brutal, mentally and physically. My parteners knew my limits but still challenged me. I wouldn't base where you hunt in archery on past experience in rifle season. Look into the stats.
There will have to be a mutual compromise. The last thing you want is a bumb trip from one of you finding yourself in over your head.

If your partner being new to archery has experience backpacking then show him the ropes. If not stay within their comfort zone.

The only thing I can say about the areas is stay updated with the fire near walden. Wouldn't be surprised if closure there puts more otc guys in your direction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'd expect 16 to have ALOT of hunters in it this year since 161 is basically closed due to Beaver creek fire.

OP
S
I guess i never thought about the fire up north and the closing of 161. I'm sure unit 16/14/17/6 will be doubled up this year.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess i never thought about the fire up north and the closing of 161. I'm sure unit 16/14/17/6 will be doubled up this year.
Hard to say, I'm close enough to expect it too. Hoping its a crowd of game not hunters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk