Colorado Northern Mountains Snow Cover?

SonnyDay

WKR
Hey All:

Headed out for first rifle (elk) in a few days--Zirkel area in Colorado.

As near as I can tell there's really no snow to speak of.

Thinking about:
  • Water (normally we melt snow for water)
  • Tracking (much easier in the snow)
  • Cooling meat (we stuff ziplocs with snow once we're back to the truck/coolers).

For you guys that have been out archery/muzzy/scouting... can you confirm that it's pretty sparse? Maybe there are remnants from a few weeks ago in the shadows/north slopes? Or maybe there's nothing?

Thanks!

I was in the area for archery this year. I will just say this. I have been on colder beach vacations. If you get lucky with a cold snap, 1st rifle could be unbelievably good. Good luck!

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
I was in the area for archery this year. I will just say this. I have been on colder beach vacations. If you get lucky with a cold snap, 1st rifle could be unbelievably good. Good luck!
Haha! Yeah, that's what it seems like. Thanks.

taskswap

WKR
Last year it was 50 the Tuesday I arrived in my zone before the Rifle 1 opener. On Thursday night it snowed a foot and I spent the weekend exhausted from post-holing through even deeper drifts in the woods. Bring plenty of water but don't leave your cold-weather-gear at home, LOL.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Last year it was 50 the Tuesday I arrived in my zone before the Rifle 1 opener. On Thursday night it snowed a foot and I spent the weekend exhausted from post-holing through even deeper drifts in the woods. Bring plenty of water but don't leave your cold-weather-gear at home, LOL.
Yeah, we were out there last year and got about 7 inches of fresh right before the season opened. It was perfect…

Based on the long term NOAA forecast the weather isn’t going to change much in the next two weeks, but fingers are crossed for needing my cold weather gear!

cnelk

WKR
I just got back from my rifle cow moose hunt not far from the Zirkels.
This past week it was over 70 every day and hardly froze at night.
The forecast for the next week is about the same.

Maybe by 1st Season Rifle it will cool down.

BTW - I never saw an elk on public land in a week. Nobody else did either.

KsRancher

WKR
Just recently looked at the 10 day weather forecast. Looks like there will be no need for thermals or a coat. I would rather the nighttime lows be the daytime highs. But still planning on having a blast for 1st rifle

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Just saw an updated forecast calling for a slight chance of rain/snow and a tad cooler starting Friday night. A dusting of snow and cooler temps would be just the thing for opening morning! We shall see.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the cold air is sitting down in the valley but still looks about freezing or a bit under that higher up. This is the coldest region of the state this morning. IMG_1317.jpeg

Poser

WKR
This will be the warmest first rifle I’ve hunted. We actually have a fair amount of rain in the forecast at and above 11,000 feet in the Southwest. Highs near 60, lows 38-40. Packing rain pants in Oct is BS

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Looks like the cold air is sitting down in the valley but still looks about freezing or a bit under that higher up. This is the coldest region of the state this morning. View attachment 773483
Be interesting to see if any moisture ends up falling as rain or snow.

This will be the warmest first rifle I’ve hunted. We actually have a fair amount of rain in the forecast at and above 11,000 feet in the Southwest. Highs near 60, lows 38-40. Packing rain pants in Oct is BS
Rain above 11K in mid-October is crazy. I usually have my rain gear anyhow for wind... but getting actual rain would be pretty lame. Hopefully being a bit farther north will mean snow up near us.