Colorado Northern Mountains Snow Cover?

SonnyDay

WKR
Hey All:

Headed out for first rifle (elk) in a few days--Zirkel area in Colorado.

As near as I can tell there's really no snow to speak of.

Thinking about:
  • Water (normally we melt snow for water)
  • Tracking (much easier in the snow)
  • Cooling meat (we stuff ziplocs with snow once we're back to the truck/coolers).

For you guys that have been out archery/muzzy/scouting... can you confirm that it's pretty sparse? Maybe there are remnants from a few weeks ago in the shadows/north slopes? Or maybe there's nothing?

Thanks!

I was in the area for archery this year. I will just say this. I have been on colder beach vacations. If you get lucky with a cold snap, 1st rifle could be unbelievably good. Good luck!

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
I was in the area for archery this year. I will just say this. I have been on colder beach vacations. If you get lucky with a cold snap, 1st rifle could be unbelievably good. Good luck!
Haha! Yeah, that's what it seems like. Thanks.

taskswap

WKR
Last year it was 50 the Tuesday I arrived in my zone before the Rifle 1 opener. On Thursday night it snowed a foot and I spent the weekend exhausted from post-holing through even deeper drifts in the woods. Bring plenty of water but don't leave your cold-weather-gear at home, LOL.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Last year it was 50 the Tuesday I arrived in my zone before the Rifle 1 opener. On Thursday night it snowed a foot and I spent the weekend exhausted from post-holing through even deeper drifts in the woods. Bring plenty of water but don't leave your cold-weather-gear at home, LOL.
Yeah, we were out there last year and got about 7 inches of fresh right before the season opened. It was perfect…

Based on the long term NOAA forecast the weather isn’t going to change much in the next two weeks, but fingers are crossed for needing my cold weather gear!