COLORADO nonresident sheep & goats.

tam9492

WKR
I’m 30 now. Started looking at the sheep game in my early 20s, and even then, it made more sense for me to just save up/throw some money at raffles. And the raffle bet has paid off once already.

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
I'd second what Hthnrdr said. If you chase the "better" draw odds, you're going to end up hunting above 11,000 feet, which is a major risk factor all by itself. Whenever I swing for the fence on these lottery ticket tags, I alway stop and ask myself "would I actually be excited to draw this?". There's a ton of great opportunities out there, chase the ones that are right for you. Good luck!

Short track, I would advise against it man, not to be cruel or mean, but it’s kind of a waste of money for you at this point. Like others have said by the time you could get closer to drawing one of the lesser units you will be 70-75, most if not all of the hunting happens in some of the most rugged and nasty terrain imaginable. Even if you are the fittest 75 year old it will be tough as hell man, I don’t know if you have the means but maybe look at sheep hunting in AK, or Audad in TX, those hunts can be had for 4-5k
Aoudad are a poor man’s sheep hunt it was a blast!

ckleeves

WKR
Who knows what the future holds, and it’s going to take a few years to get a idea of if the flood of new applicants coming into the draw drops, holds at the current levels or increases but it doesn’t look good for both res and non res MSG point holders.

This is for Goat, but I already had it pulled up and it’s a good example. Basically by buying a 50.00 or 100.00 point every year your odds stay more or less the same. If you look around you can find more examples of this B77543DB-0202-447D-AA71-AE363441D1E0.jpeg
It’s going to take a few more years of data but if this is any indication 0FB68C9B-1034-457D-A104-1A5C4A4A7104.jpeg
The amount of new applicants coming in isn’t even close to the 25 non-res goat tags drawn out yearly. Guys need to stop looking straight across the board and saying “when I get to 15 points I will have 3% odds” when in reality they may very well have the exact same odds they have right now.

Yes, it's discouraging. The moment that Colorado changed the regs no longer requiring upfront payment of Sheep, goat and moose tags, about 4-5? years ago, a huge number of new applicants (both residents and non-residents) flooded the pool and reduced everyone's chances to draw a tag. Now, it's harder than ever to draw. It took my cousin 24 years as a Colorado resident (and he got lucky) to be drawn in a unit that in 1993 would have only taken about 5 points back then. Point creep is real. Raffles are looking better each year.

jeffpg

WKR
This is what I have going into the 2023 Colorado draw. I drew mule deer in 2007 and harvested a nice buck. I have hunted elk several times on OTC and Landowner tags. I have been applying in almost all of the other western states for 2 dozen years and have hit some pretty awesome hunts during that time.

I'm a 62 year old dreamer who tends to get lucky sometimes, so I keep applying.

Deer
Elk
Goat
Goat Weighted
Moose
Moose Weighted
Pronghorn
RMB-Sheep
RMB-Sheep Weighted

WKR
Thank you for supporting our wildlife. Good luck on the draws!

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
I am just shocked to hear the raffle system has better odds than these non-resident draws.
You should be shocked because that is not true. Not always anyway. Take a hard look at the raffle data and make your own comparison. Well, at least for the raffles that will tell you how many tickets they sold last year.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I have going into the 2023 Colorado draw. I drew mule deer in 2007 and harvested a nice buck. I have hunted elk several times on OTC and Landowner tags. I have been applying in almost all of the other western states for 2 dozen years and have hit some pretty awesome hunts during that time.

I'm a 62 year old dreamer who tends to get lucky sometimes, so I keep applying.

Deer
Elk
Goat
Goat Weighted
Moose
Moose Weighted
Pronghorn
RMB-Sheep
RMB-Sheep Weighted
You are at 3+10-12 for MSG but keep buying $150 MSG points? Google “law of diminishing returns” that applies to that system.

Keep applying sure, but buying more points is of little added benefit.

Put in. What have you really got to loose? Once you hit the 3pt min, you stand a chance of getting drawn; of course it's an infinitesimally small chance, but there's so few tags that even with weighted draw odds the chances don't get a whole lot better with 3+10 or 20. It's not like draws for deer and elk in CO, wherein it goes by straight up points.

My Brother has killed 2 moose (Bull and cow) and a huge ram in CO. I should add that he's a resident; still, his odds for drawing any of those 3 tags were tiny but it did happened. Only thing for certain is that you'll never draw if you don't put in.

Last edited: