COLORADO nonresident sheep & goats.

Does it pay to buy points for COLORADO sheep & goats as a nonresident?
They have weighted points, and regular points. Will I ever get drawn as a nonresident?

I'm 60, and have another 10 years doing this stuff.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
They have weighted points, and regular points. Will I ever get drawn as a nonresident?

How many points do you have now?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Short track, I would advise against it man, not to be cruel or mean, but it’s kind of a waste of money for you at this point. Like others have said by the time you could get closer to drawing one of the lesser units you will be 70-75, most if not all of the hunting happens in some of the most rugged and nasty terrain imaginable. Even if you are the fittest 75 year old it will be tough as hell man, I don’t know if you have the means but maybe look at sheep hunting in AK, or Audad in TX, those hunts can be had for 4-5k

If you have extra money and there aren't any raffles with better odds, apply. The chances of drawing after 10 years are still probably less than 1%. (WAG)

If it's not worth a couple grand to apply and build points for less than a 1% chance to you, don't apply.

I have points in Colorado already and I don't expect to draw in 10 years.

You'll need at least 3 points to be in the mix for a tag. Additional preference points will just slightly increase your miniscule chance to draw. Points are weighted. As a resident I'm on the bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and moose point donation scheme. Hoping to draw a moose tag some day.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
With a fat enough check book, you can hunt any of the north American sheep. Desert, Dall, Bighorn,stone. It better be really fat tho!

You’d be wasting your time and money in CO chasing points at your age. Unless you think you’ll be 75+ and able to do it.

You’d be wasting your time and money in CO chasing points at your age. Unless you think you’ll be 75+ and able to do it.
Here's the crazy thing. Since it is a random draw, hunters occasionally draw with low point totals. It's like hitting the lottery. Man can always dream. Just give me a moose tag. I can take or leave the sheep and goat tags.

OMB

WKR
Let's say I have a fat check book. I can do TX Aoudad, and Stone sheep in Canada. What else ?
With the price of stone sheep right now, you could probably roll the dice on a bighorn hunt in Canada or maybe try to snag a less than desirable auction tag (but even those are probably nearing $100k, you'd have to look at recent results.)

OP
Short Track
I'm looking at CO now. 1 Ram tag for non-residents. 10 zillion applicants. 3 or 4 tags for residents. Waste of time & money, considering I'd need a guide that knows the unit.
and you also need to blow out $93 on a small game permit before you can even enter these draws.

Better odds doing the raffle system.

Last edited: