Colorado Non-Res with 14 Preference Points

Hoyt24

FNG
Open to any unit for a good hunt. Looking for Recommendations on units/outfitters for a group of 3 men with 14 preference points (I know 14 is kind of in no mans land...either too many or not enough) going into the 2020 season. Prefer a gun hunt because the 14 years of putting in some of us have gotten older and a bow hunt would be great but looking to get the job done. I've been looking into unit 49 First Season Rifle and Unit 40 2nd Season. Any advice/knowledge is greatly appreciated. We have been successful over the years for OTC licenses in unit 71/711 and 72 but looking to burn the points so I can do future bow hunts with less point requirements.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
I've been looking into unit 49 First Season Rifle and Unit 40 2nd Season

Those couldn't be much different tags. What is it you guys are looking for? A physical hunt with plenty of room to move around and find elk (49), or a hunt where you're going to likely be playing the boundary game and/or looking for private access (40)? Do you have any money to spend on an outfitter or access?

WKR
Can't help on those units but I do hope your patience for building points pays off with some good ones. Best of luck.

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
Those couldn't be much different tags. What is it you guys are looking for? A physical hunt with plenty of room to move around and find elk (49), or a hunt where you're going to likely be playing the boundary game and/or looking for private access (40)? Do you have any money to spend on an outfitter or access?
We are all in decent shape. I’m in 30,s and other guy 40, and my dad 56. We have a few $$$ to spend as we want to make sure we at least have a good hunt for the time we have put in the points but we are not afraid of a lot of walking.

ericF

WKR
That is pretty cool you all had the discipline to stick with the plan. No man's land might be a great place to grab a ranching for wildlife tag. https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2018ElkDrawRecap.pdf
ee004w1r*
ee006w2r*
ee025w1r*

He doesn't explicitly say it, but I believe OP is a non-resident. For the seasons he is talking about in 49 and 40, they both take around 14 points as a non-resident. This means Ranching for Wildlife is out as it is for residents only. Can you confirm if you are a non resident or resident OP.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Those ages are all young, when you said "some were getting older" I assumed like 75. I'll be 54 this year and I'll hunt most of the archery season solo. If you all are bowhunters, I'd definitely go that route, then ML 2nd choice, then rifle 3rd choice. Archery opens up more options as well.

He says NR in the title of the thread.

njdoxie

WKR
Those ages are all young, when you said "some were getting older" I assumed like 75. I'll be 54 this year and I'll hunt most of the archery season solo. If you all are bowhunters, I'd definitely go that route, then ML 2nd choice, then rifle 3rd choice. Archery opens up more options as well.

People age differently, one mans 65 is another mans 55. it varies widely. Can’t make generalizations that just because you can do something, others the same age can also. I have a friend who used to run marathons, thought that since he could, anyone could, he just couldn’t grasp that some others weren’t as tough as him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
He doesn't explicitly say it, but I believe OP is a non-resident. For the seasons he is talking about in 49 and 40, they both take around 14 points as a non-resident. This means Ranching for Wildlife is out as it is for residents only. Can you confirm if you are a non resident or resident OP.

I goofed! I had looked up the non resident points for those from last year and that was why I posted. I came home to start looking at hybrid tags for pronghorn and noticed that RGW tags are now resident only for all species.

Phaseolus

WKR
Hoyt, if you are in your 30’s you may want to stay the course with points. If you want to draw unit 40 you should consider an outfitter, there is not much public land in 40. You would be two years out on booking an outfitter, outfitted elk hunts in 40 may produce the biggest elk in Colorado.

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
We are non residents . Ohio boys

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
Hoyt, if you are in your 30’s you may want to stay the course with points. If you want to draw unit 40 you should consider an outfitter, there is not much public land in 40. You would be two years out on booking an outfitter, outfitted elk hunts in 40 may produce the biggest elk in Colorado.
Problem is my dad is in his 50’s and we want to do it together. Believe me I would rather do an archery hunt and go all in but it wouldn’t be the same without my dad who has both rotator cuffs redone

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG

Problem is my dad who is in his 50’s has had both rotator cuffs done and can’t pull a bow back. I would rather burn all those points with him rather than do an archery hunt on my own