Colorado Help

It's pretty simple: apply for new Mexico, apply for Montana general, apply for a Colorado unit with >50% odds at zero points/left over, and then hunt otc if none of that works out in your favor. There's no reason to plan on an otc trip at this time of year unless you're deep into a points strategy in multiple states.

Last edited:
I met a couple guys from Kansas a few years ago back in 2009. I was mid 40’s then. One guy was around my age, and his partner was 76 years old. CO OTC. My second year elk hunting and I was heading up and had to take a break at over 11,000’ when I saw them side hilling about 100 yards below me. So don’t let anyone tell you a guy can’t hunt high elevation at that age.

FF to 2022. The unit is now a draw unit. Driving back to where I was going to hunt, I ran into the same 2 guys driving out. They had been up in the area I was heading to. No walk in the park above 11,000’. That would make this man 90 years young. I know it’s probably exception rather than the rule at 90 but I say your dad is a free man with a free will and should not be told how, when or where to hunt. If he wants to go OTC then I say go OTC and go kill an elk

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a NM landowner tag for a few $k in a decent unit and have a much more enjoyable hunt. Then you dont even have to ask for someones honey hole......

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is what he wants. We have tried guided and he hates it. He would rather go on a DIY hunt with a 5% success rate, than have 100% success with a guide ushering him around.
If that's the case, just pick an OTC unit and come out and hunt it. Your odds won't be much different regardless what unit you pick.

Overdrive

WKR
I've never been a fan of 2nd season, seems like the season so many hunters go.

If it was me I'd look at going 1st rifle, it's draw, it's a couple days shorter so your Dad doesn't get burned out and most of the 1st rifle hunts are either sex tags so at least you have the choice to shoot a Cow or Bull. If you do some searching on the CPW website you'll find some 0 pp units for 1st rifle.

Derbooze

FNG
Don't listen to the naysayers. It can be done with a lot of preparation, research and a little bit of luck. My brother and I took our father out during 2nd season (who was 76 at the time) and we brought elk meat home out of unit 65. We chose that season so my dad could also hunt muleys (which we also tagged). I used to live in Colorado (now back in Wisconsin) and knew the area fairly well from backpacking, which was an advantage. A couple of things you may want to consider:
  • Consider a different season so it is less crowded
  • Look into drop camps instead of guides. It will get you deeper back into the timbers than most OTC hunters will hike to. If you have done homework, it is likely you will get into some good territory plus many of the drop camp guides will help answer questions.
  • Once you decide on a unit, take a week this summer to go backpack the area. Take the time to visit the local ranger station(s) and learn the access routes. Keep in mind the weather will be much different (read=snow)
I'm in Madison if you ever want to grab a beer and talk elk-hunting. FWIY, my dad had a similar perspective - it was about the experience, not the success rate. Had that not been the case, we likely would have done either a drop camp or a guided hunt.

An OTC bull elk hunt is going to be difficult for a man of his age unless he's in really good shape and is experienced walking at high altitude. I would recommend a late season hunt on a NW CO ranch that you can purchase access. That would give him the best chance connect with a bull.